BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't think I'd be the only one with this particular problem, but all my thread searches and Googleing have not returned satisfactory results.

I have a 2012 RT and a classic Ipod (160G). I have purchased both the 75$ BMW patch cord and the 14$ one off the bay, both with the same results. Eventually the RT's display will show 'NO USB' and of course the music stops. I've done the Ipod reset, I've tried altering various Ipod settings to see if it mattered. So far the end result is always the same. Sometimes the system will re-find the Ipod after a NO USB event, most the times I have to stop and reset the Ipod. Sometimes It works better on a BMW1 playlist, sometimes it doesn't seem to matter.

In the end what I want is to be able to play my Ipod using the 'All' and 'Random' settings on the RT. After all, who wants to listen to the same songs in order every ride? Is there a limit on the number of songs or the size of the Ipod? It seems like it might be the Random setting that is causing my problem but if that won't work the gig is next to useless to me. As a side note, often when things are working the Ipod will change tracks in the middle of a song (truly random I suppose). But that's not nearly as bothersome as long as the music keeps coming.

I can't believe it's this difficult to get an Ipod to work in this day and age. Any ideas or solutions would be enormously appreciated...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep, same problem. Did hear of a patch but the dealer says mine is up to date. So resort to just plugging in only via the jack plug and not use the USB. Means I have to turn it on and off manually and only vary the volume via the wheel. Which frankly is a bit of an arse, especially when you forget to turn it off and it drains the battery overnight....miles from anywhere.....in the middle of France....D'oh

Stu

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I think the BMW iPod connect wire is too stiff so when you hit a bump it will dislodge the connection another bump might reestablish the connection. I think if the little locking teeth on the iPod connection were slightly larger it wouldn't happen and a less stiff cord would help as well. We were on 3 1/2 hour ride back from Niagara on the Lake I lost the connection to iPhone several times which also disconnected the TomTom app and since I wasn't familiar with the first part of the route it was a pain in the butt. I do have a iPod extension cable that I use to connect an iPad to a iPod dock and it is both less stiff and locks to the bottom of the phone and I will add that in-between the BMW cable and the phone to see if this prevents this problem.

Gerhard

P.S. I believe the iPod classic is hard drive based so may get damaged from the vibrations of the motorcycle

·
Cat Herder
1,513 Posts
BMW NA is working on the problem. Make sure your dealer is aware of your issue and they open a PUMA case for your bike.

They have a fix for this on the GT and GTL but not the RT... YET...!!!
Bumps in the road are not the issue. It is a logic problem.

I have been working on getting this fixed since last October with the head engineer for BMW NA. I met up with him at the Long Beach show and he flew out to Vegas and worked on my bike for two days. I am using the Schuberth helmet with the BMW Bluetooth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies gents, it's always the little things isn't it? I was worried this would happen, no solution yet. I'll definitely get down to the dealer and get on the list; what does PUMA stand for btw?

I had thought about the fact that it's a hard drive based Ipod, and I might do some further testing to help rule that out. But I have my doubts, the times that the failure coincided with road bumps was just to sporadic. I've also had it fail suspiciously close to gear shifts both up and down. But I can't make any of the failure events happen consistently enough to suspect any one or two causes. I have even tried rubber bands to hold the cord tighter, always the same in the end.

I have found that if I can get the system to the point of 'ALL'/'RANDOM' it will hold for several rides. But my magic trick is to turn the system off before I kill the engine, that way it comes back to where I left it next time I turn the stereo on. But eventually......anyway.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You have to remember that iPods that have a hard drive only read the hard drive as the buffer empties that may only happen 4 or 5 times an hour, so hitting a bump randomly won't damage the drive but it could if the bump and the read cycle coincide. So the iPod could last a very long time, then again the head could crash the next time you ride.

I am going for a long ride on Saturday and I will test using the extension wire and see if that helps my situation, I hope it does because the TomTom app works pretty nice and really can live without seeing the screen.

Gerhard

·
Registered
241 Posts
tvguy said:
BMW NA is working on the problem. Make sure your dealer is aware of your issue and they open a PUMA case for your bike.

They have a fix for this on the GT and GTL but not the RT... YET...!!!
Bumps in the road are not the issue. It is a logic problem.

I have been working on getting this fixed since last October with the head engineer for BMW NA. I met up with him at the Long Beach show and he flew out to Vegas and worked on my bike for two days. I am using the Schuberth helmet with the BMW Bluetooth.
I've had this same problem with my 2011 since I bought it and found the only way around it was to use my iPhone instead which thus far has worked without problems. I replaced the cable three times with my iPod touch and it would still randomly reset. Sometimes it'd reconnect, sometimes it wouldn't. I called the dealer numerous times and even brought the bike in twice and they'd always say it was the iPod. I finally contacted BMWNA last month and the guy told me no one had called them regarding this issue with the RT's, only the GT's. :confused:

Regardless, I entered my name and bike info with BMWNA and was told if they ever come up with a fix, I'll be notified.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts