BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
IBR# 366
16,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Engadget.com, BMW is integrating the iPod's screen interface with BMW's in-dash monitors. So what you see on the iPod screen is exactly what you'll see on your dash screen.

Since the new K1600 bikes will come with an iPod interface and a full-color dash screen, all the parts are in place to add this functionality to the bikes. Hmm.

·
Registered
368 Posts
That would be cool.

I just drove a BMW (car) with the fully featured nav system and iPod interface, and you browse through your iPod songs And playlists nicely.

It still doesn't show the album covers though, if this is what you mean

·
Registered
293 Posts
This was a $400 adder on our car...seemed like a bit steep to avoid scrolling thru the list on the little box, so we did not bite. Hopefully it is included on the GLT.

·
IBR# 366
16,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This new iPod-out software feature from Apple is different from what BMW offers now.

Currently, you can read text from the iPod to show what track is playing, and send limited commands to play/pause, skip songs, etc. BMW and others have integrated this already. Heck, you can even get the basic text and control functionality on the LT's monochrome text display using a Dice module.

What's new is that now Apple is allowing the entire graphic interface to be sent out. So on your standard BMW display, you will now see a full-color duplicate of what's on the iPod's display. Not just text or basic commands, but full and complete iPod control, using Apple's existing graphic interface on BMW's (or someone else's) display.

Don't know if that will make it to the GTL, but it is an interesting possibility . . .

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
meese said:
This new iPod-out software feature from Apple is different from what BMW offers now.

Currently, you can read text from the iPod to show what track is playing, and send limited commands to play/pause, skip songs, etc. BMW and others have integrated this already. Heck, you can even get the basic text and control functionality on the LT's monochrome text display using a Dice module.

What's new is that now Apple is allowing the entire graphic interface to be sent out. So on your standard BMW display, you will now see a full-color duplicate of what's on the iPod's display. Not just text or basic commands, but full and complete iPod control, using Apple's existing graphic interface on BMW's (or someone else's) display.

Don't know if that will make it to the GTL, but it is an interesting possibility . . .
That would be very cool. The 2010 RT has an iPod interface but it's got limited control of the iPod.

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
It will all boil down to whether the Motorrad division worked with the auto division's suppliers for the audio system. I am skeptical that we will see the same quality of interface, but since they are using a full color display, I suppose it is possible.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Randy said:
It will all boil down to whether the Motorrad division worked with the auto division's suppliers for the audio system. I am skeptical that we will see the same quality of interface, but since they are using a full color display, I suppose it is possible.
Also, I must say that when I first saw the photos of the display, it reminded me A LOT of the iDrive system they're using in recent model cars, especially since it sounds like they're going to use a similar controller on the left handlebar that may be similar to the much-maligned iDrive controller.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Bruce_Yates said:
the much-maligned iDrive controller.
Why "maligned"?

I found it great and very easy to use.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Bruce_Yates said:
Also, I must say that when I first saw the photos of the display, it reminded me A LOT of the iDrive system they're using in recent model cars, especially since it sounds like they're going to use a similar controller on the left handlebar that may be similar to the much-maligned iDrive controller.
If you all want to try out the controller, it was introduced this year on the 2010 R12RT. I'm currently working on getting the U.S. version of BMW's patent applications on the device through the U.S. patent office. Sorry, no K16 interface details to share!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Corrado68 said:
Why "maligned"?

I found it great and very easy to use.
The iDrive controller has been bashed in the auto press ever since it's initial introduction. Once you learn how it works (where the various menus are, etc.) it is quite functional, but it is less than intuitive to people less proficient in computers (and even some who are). In some ways it was just ahead of its time, applying computer/mouse skills to auto functions, but the learning curve has always been a bit steep for the average motorist. My wife was a good example - she loves it now, but for the first two years we owned our M5, she swore at the iDrive and how she just couldn't figure it out (and she has 3 masters degrees and a PhD!). So most of the "maligning" was due to it being unnecessarily complicated and less than intuitive.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well, if this is the reason, I can fully understand it.

I also took a few attempts to find the proper way through some functions. I never read the manuals usually, as I have the opinion that if a function is hidden in an user manual, then it's a second priority function that nobody needs or uses. But with the iDrive you need to read the manual. Or have an IT university grade like me :)

To be honest, after years driving BMW cars, I think that ALL functions in those cars require a bit of reading. The iDrive is just one of those.

German technology is impressive, but far from being intuitive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts