BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After weeks of contemplating which nav unit to buy, how to mount, spend HOW MUCH $$$, I decided to use my iPhone 4 w/Navigon software combined with a ProClip mounting solution. WORKS GREAT for under $75.

This set up mounts in the factory Nav location on the stingray and uses the factory square nuts and factory allen head bolts for attachment.

I hid the original wiring under the stingray and used the factory painted "cover" to finish things off nicely. The mount rotates, has an arm to securely hold the iPhone in place and has a quick disconnect on the base plate for quick and easy removal. The base plate is a standard AMPS 4 hole mounting pattern

I have attached photos which detail the installation, so a verbal description would be wasted. Feel free to ask questions.

I have learned so much from the expertise on this site, I hope this can help out some.

--------------------------------------------------
ProClip site: www.proclipusa.com

Holder w/Tilt Swivel (iPhone 4 specific - others available) Item # 511170
Device Mounting Adapter (AMPS Standard Holes) Quick Disconnect. Item # 215053

Good Luck !!

np

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nick,

Looks great. How will it handle water? The day I bought my LT it was pouring rain and I made the mistake of putting my iPhone in my one "non-waterproof" pocket. Found out later that iPhones don't like water and destroyed it. Be careful.

Jim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Water is an issue. I was considering using some sort of ZipLock baggie type solution if I really need the nav during rain. Otherwise, I'll write down directions and run the old fashioned way until the rain stops.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been wondering if anyone here uses their phone for navigation, been looking for a detailed mod like this!

So thnx for sharing!

PS- any chance on a photo taken from the side or rear when mounted, kinda hard to see how that tilt swivel base is mounted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XFBO said:
I've been wondering if anyone here uses their phone for navigation, been looking for a detailed mod like this!

So thnx for sharing!

PS- any chance on a photo taken from the side or rear when mounted, kinda hard to see how that tilt swivel base is mounted.
I will see if I can post a few more pics. If you look at the photos I included originally, you can see the 2 pieces of the quick disconnect base bracket. One piece is shown already bolted to the bike and the other half is shown in the pic of the individual components.

The swivel portion is part of the iPhone 4 specific cradle, which bolts to the one half of the quick disconnect. (shown apart and bolted together in 2 separate pics). The 2 halves of the quick disconnect base just slide into one another and click to lock. (if you look closely at the half shown in the component photo, you can see a little ball bearing which acts as the lock).

Hope that helps a little.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
warmrock said:
Nick,

Looks great. How will it handle water? The day I bought my LT it was pouring rain and I made the mistake of putting my iPhone in my one "non-waterproof" pocket. Found out later that iPhones don't like water and destroyed it. Be careful.
I simply use a ziploc bag to protect my nav from rain.
And if you drown your iPhone again, try burying it in a bag of rice. The rice will wick the water out. It works for iPods.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I am unable to get onto the Ram Mount web site right now, but they had a waterproof holder for the iPhone.
Sorry I can't provide the link.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nickp said:
Some additional photos
I live in San Diego.....I found my i-phone can not withstand a long ride in direct sun light...discovered a large tri-angle shaped over temp warning icon...had to cool phone down to use... :mad:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nickp said:
I will see if I can post a few more pics. If you look at the photos I included originally, you can see the 2 pieces of the quick disconnect base bracket. One piece is shown already bolted to the bike and the other half is shown in the pic of the individual components.

The swivel portion is part of the iPhone 4 specific cradle, which bolts to the one half of the quick disconnect. (shown apart and bolted together in 2 separate pics). The 2 halves of the quick disconnect base just slide into one another and click to lock. (if you look closely at the half shown in the component photo, you can see a little ball bearing which acts as the lock).

Hope that helps a little.
Hey Nick, actually yes I did see the pic you're speaking of unless the stingray cover is different than my '05 what's losing me is the piece that the base swivel mount is attached to???

My '05 apparently had GPS at some point cuz there is a smaller (than the one on your LT) mount with two cables poking out behind. I have no intentions on trying to figure out which make or model he had mounted there so that's where my interest started to find something for my HTC Evo. That proclip site looks to be an awesome source and will probably go that route.

GlennM86 said:
I am unable to get onto the Ram Mount web site right now, but they had a waterproof holder for the iPhone.
Sorry I can't provide the link.
Yes they do and the RAM system was the other route I was looking into, however, that waterproof box you're speaking of doesn't allow the use of the touch screen phones, which is a turn off for me. I just picked up the BlueAnt Interphone F4 system and wanted to be able to dial out with one touch. So Im thinking the ProClip mount would work better for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
wArt said:
I simply use a ziploc bag to protect my nav from rain.
And if you drown your iPhone again, try burying it in a bag of rice. The rice will wick the water out. It works for iPods.[/QUOTE

Thanks! One time was all it took to appreciate the iPhone's sensitivity to water. Hope to never get it wet again, but if it does I'll stick it in rice.

·
Premium Member
7,524 Posts
Nickp said:
After weeks of contemplating which nav unit to buy, how to mount, spend HOW MUCH $$$, I decided to use my iPhone 4 w/Navigon software combined with a ProClip mounting solution. WORKS GREAT for under $75.

This set up mounts in the factory Nav location on the stingray and uses the factory square nuts and factory allen head bolts for attachment.

I hid the original wiring under the stingray and used the factory painted "cover" to finish things off nicely. The mount rotates, has an arm to securely hold the iPhone in place and has a quick disconnect on the base plate for quick and easy removal. The base plate is a standard AMPS 4 hole mounting pattern

I have attached photos which detail the installation, so a verbal description would be wasted. Feel free to ask questions.

I have learned so much from the expertise on this site, I hope this can help out some.

ProClip site: www.proclipusa.com

Holder w/Tilt Swivel (iPhone 4 specific - others available) Item # 511170
Device Mounting Adapter (AMPS Standard Holes) Quick Disconnect. Item # 215053

Good Luck !!

np
Now I have a crick in my neck looking at these sideways pictures!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
XFBO said:
Hey Nick, actually yes I did see the pic you're speaking of unless the stingray cover is different than my '05 what's losing me is the piece that the base swivel mount is attached to???

My '05 apparently had GPS at some point cuz there is a smaller (than the one on your LT) mount with two cables poking out behind. I have no intentions on trying to figure out which make or model he had mounted there so that's where my interest started to find something for my HTC Evo. That proclip site looks to be an awesome source and will probably go that route.

--------------------------------

I believe the part you referring to is the color keyed cover which fits over the black bracket housed underneath. The part that is actually bolted to the stingray is a black bracket which has a place for the 4 square nuts which are used to secure the GPS. The color keyed cover fits over the black bracket and actually holds the 4 square nuts in place so you can screw the GPS to it

I attached the ProClip bracket to the color keyed cover as shown in the pics.

Hope that explains it.
:confused:

·
Premium Member
7,524 Posts
Nickp said:
Sorry 'bout that. If you click on the individual thumbnails, they straighten out. :eek:

They don't for me. I tried that before I posted the note about them being rotated. I've never seen thumbnails appear rotated before and I've never found that enlarging a thumbnail rotated the picture. I always just get a larger vesion of what is there as a thumbnail.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Voyager said:
They don't for me. I tried that before I posted the note about them being rotated. I've never seen thumbnails appear rotated before and I've never found that enlarging a thumbnail rotated the picture. I always just get a larger vesion of what is there as a thumbnail.
I thought it was weird as well. When I snapped the pics, all were taken with the correct orientation. When I posted ....... twisty.

I use my iPad when I am cruising the forum and when I tap on the thumbnails, they open a new window and straigten out.

·
Premium Member
7,524 Posts
Nickp said:
I thought it was weird as well. When I snapped the pics, all were taken with the correct orientation. When I posted ....... twisty.

I use my iPad when I am cruising the forum and when I tap on the thumbnails, they open a new window and straigten out.
Your iPad is obviously much more intelligent than is my Lenovo laptop running IE!!

Did you post the pics from your iPad? I've never seen pictures on the forum come in rotated 90 degrees before.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Voyager said:
Your iPad is obviously much more intelligent than is my Lenovo laptop running IE!!

Did you post the pics from your iPad? I've never seen pictures on the forum come in rotated 90 degrees before.
I posted from my Mac Book.

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
Nickp said:
I posted from my Mac Book.
Thats weird - they don't auto rotate on my netbook w/IE 8, butt they do on my iPhone. Must have sumpthin' to do with Apple compatibility?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts