BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been talked about many times, but I have searched the threads and can't find anything regarding the use of a Hornig mirror hole GPS Ball mount .

I was searching for a solution today and had no idea I had these holes for mirrors ready to go that I could re-purpose to mount an iPhone. The part seems pretty expensive, but probably worth it if it works. Just wondering if anyone has used this solution and what parts they needed in addition to the mirror mount to get an iPhone attached. Would also love to see pictures.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
I know this topic has been talked about many times, but I have searched the threads and can't find anything regarding the use of a Hornig mirror hole GPS Ball mount .

I was searching for a solution today and had no idea I had these holes for mirrors ready to go that I could re-purpose to mount an iPhone. The part seems pretty expensive, but probably worth it if it works. Just wondering if anyone has used this solution and what parts they needed in addition to the mirror mount to get an iPhone attached. Would also love to see pictures.

Thanks!
I bought some Ball Mount stuff to mount different devices in that location like a camera or my GPS. What I found is just about whatever I mount there blocks access to look in the side mirror so be aware of that issue before you put something there.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought some Ball Mount stuff to mount different devices in that location like a camera or my GPS. What I found is just about whatever I mount there blocks access to look in the side mirror so be aware of that issue before you put something there.
Thanks for the warning Gordon. Have you found an alternate solutions? I already have a gas tank mount for my GPS but I want to be able to use Waze when I ride so I want to mount my iPhone somewhere.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I also have this mount but am about to replace it. It is really hard to see the mirror. I have ordered the mount that attaches to the master cylinder cover. I ordered the one with the ball on the side. I believe this will move it away from the mirror.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I also have this mount but am about to replace it. It is really hard to see the mirror. I have ordered the mount that attaches to the master cylinder cover. I ordered the one with the ball on the side. I believe this will move it away from the mirror.
I installed my new mount this afternoon. It is a much nicer setup. It doesn't obscure the mirror at all. Anybody want to buy my old mount?

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
I installed my new mount this afternoon. It is a much nicer setup. It doesn't obscure the mirror at all. Anybody want to buy my old mount?
Post a picture of it if you can. I may want to do that if it works well,

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've got the off-set RAM mounts on my clutch & brake cylinders. They work great, don't obstruct my view of anything. They look just like the Hornig. RAM lists them at $24 each

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Post a picture of it if you can. I may want to do that if it works well
In your setup, did you get the small, medium or large double socket ball to hold your phone/gps mount. I am just wondering about clearance between the phone mount and the top of the reservoir. Can you send the model numbers of the arm and phone/gps mounts if you know them? I also wanted to ask about the phone mount. I have seem pictures where people have used additional rubber bands around the type of mount you chose because there are no bottom/top holders (the mounts just contact the device on the sides). The rubber bands are just extra security to insure the phone doesn't fall out if you hit a bump. Does the spring loaded mechanism grab your device securely? Do you get the sense that you would need to take additional measures to secure the device?

Since I wrote this, I did some more research and apparently, the RAM phone cradle has a little bit of movement that can cause your device to tilt horizontally. Some people have also complained about devices falling out of the cradle and smashing. I found a solution for this other than using a rubber band. It's called the "Texel WebGrip Security Tether Cradle Support" and they are available through Amazon. Here's the only video I could find (in English) that demonstrates this cradle support. video

·
Registered
82 Posts
In your setup, did you get the small, medium or large double socket ball to hold your phone/gps mount. I am just wondering about clearance between the phone mount and the top of the reservoir. Can you send the model numbers of the arm and phone/gps mounts if you know them? I also wanted to ask about the phone mount. I have seem pictures where people have used additional rubber bands around the type of mount you chose because there are no bottom/top holders (the mounts just contact the device on the sides). The rubber bands are just extra security to insure the phone doesn't fall out if you hit a bump. Does the spring loaded mechanism grab your device securely? Do you get the sense that you would need to take additional measures to secure the device?

Since I wrote this, I did some more research and apparently, the RAM phone cradle has a little bit of movement that can cause your device to tilt horizontally. Some people have also complained about devices falling out of the cradle and smashing. I found a solution for this other than using a rubber band. It's called the "Texel WebGrip Security Tether Cradle Support" and they are available through Amazon. Here's the only video I could find (in English) that demonstrates this cradle support. video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r-IapXetT0.
I bought mine for a iPhone 5se off the rack at Eurosport Asheville BMW, it came with the tether for about 26.00. I have ridden with it tethered and untethered and it holds pretty firm. I do have a phone cover which I think helps with the gripping. They do sell the tethers separately.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts