BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and not an LT owner. I have put over 125,000 miles on an RT though. And had a K1200RS for a while that I loved.

Here's my question:

I have heard that there was a deal at some point in time to buy a big socket for the final drive pin, basically a deep 1-3/16" that had a section cut out to allow for the large allen. Here's a picture:

I believe the socket and allen came together for something like $25.

Anyone know where I can buy this? At least the socket? Anyone have one lying around they want to sell?

Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had an engine machine shop mill out the opening on a 30MM socket that I provided to them. They charged me about $40. Then I went on Amazon.com to search for 12MM Allen. I found this set: Bondhus 11099 Set of 9 Balldriver Insert Bits, sizes 2-12mm. Maybe not the best option but all I could find.

The only combo set with 30MM cutout socket and the 12MM Allen I could find was on Ebay from England. The price was good but I though the shipping would kill the deal.

Some members have offered to lend their setup which I thought was very generous. I felt like I wanted my own tools for other times so I had one made.
Don

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I purchased one of the ones listed on ebay from the UK. It was delivered quickly. I chose the version with the closed end (has a window) rather than the one with the U-shaped cut out. It even came with the allen wrench. Search under "BMW Swinging Arm" and the two types will show. It was only $25 shipped! Hard to make one for that price.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Okay, it's ugly as heck, but I just used a 4" cut off wheel in a hand grinder and cut a series of slots for the window. Drove a chisel in between the slots to break them off and a rough grind on the edges.

Haven't tried it yet, but suspect it will work ok.

Jim H.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks for your advice RRRider, just ordered a set in UK. Good Price, including shipping somewhere around 19,- Euro = 26,- US $.

Manfred

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies!

I'm with you Don. The picture I posted was of a socket that lives here in town, but I like to have my own tools and be self sufficient.

It it does the job, it looks okay to me Jim.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I purchased the one from the UK on ebay a few months ago ( just to have incase).

Look OK except its a 12 point instead of a 6 point which would give a better grip. I think
it was around 30.00 shipped to my P.O. Box in Massena,New York.

Regards,

Bowdon

(www.lasertools.co.uk)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
jrh2020 said:
Okay, it's ugly as heck, but I just used a 4" cut off wheel in a hand grinder and cut a series of slots for the window. Drove a chisel in between the slots to break them off and a rough grind on the edges.

Haven't tried it yet, but suspect it will work ok.

Jim H.
It will. Just made one myself like that to change the final drive. Mine won't win no beauty contest though. The one guys are buying from overseas is a great deal though, I've got that much money in it myself, plus the gas I burned running everything down. Not to mention all the cussing I did trying to get the cut out of that socket. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello
I am new here.
My latest bike is a K1200LT. This is my 3rd BMW. First one was a funduro, next one was a R1100RT an now the K.
Last saturday my machine broke down. One of the shift linkages broke down.
I see on this forum that this is a known problem. Q.: anyone has an idea how to remove the broken part before installing a new one?
I also have a problem with the board computer. This one works fine, but is very hard to read. It looks like the display is getting to much power. Looks like an overkill of display power. Anyone knows a solution for this one? I hoped there was a potentiometer somewhere where one could control the display power.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
Fender said:
Hello
I am new here.
My latest bike is a K1200LT. This is my 3rd BMW. First one was a funduro, next one was a R1100RT an now the K.
Last saturday my machine broke down. One of the shift linkages broke down.
I see on this forum that this is a known problem. Q.: anyone has an idea how to remove the broken part before installing a new one?
I also have a problem with the board computer. This one works fine, but is very hard to read. It looks like the display is getting to much power. Looks like an overkill of display power. Anyone knows a solution for this one? I hoped there was a potentiometer somewhere where one could control the display power.
Thanks in advance.
Rik - for shift linkage information, click on the 'files' tab on the home page, then click on the 'technical files' tab, then find file number 43 of the 53 total files. That will show you the shift linkage arrangement, which will hopefully answer your question. HTH.

For the OBC, you'll need to tell us what model year your LT is. Then someone with the answer to your question will be able to help.

BTW - belated Happy Birthday (last Saturday). Hope you had a good day. Take care, Rik.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks.
My Birthday was not that great. Went for a tour since weather was perfect for the time of the year in Belgium. Shift linkage broke down and I had to wait for a tow truck to get the bike back home. So could have been better.
Will have a look at the file. Think the problem will be how to get the broken part out of the bike so that i can put a new one in.
Bike is a 2003 model. (for the Board computer information).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts