BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Name is Jim, handle is JMan. I have been riding for over forty years. My current ride is a 1999 Valkyrie Interstate & a 1995 Vulcan 800A. Am looking to add another bike to the stable with a 1999 BMW K1200LT in mind. It only has 18000 miles on it. Am told some warranty work was completed including new windshield, rear brake rotor, new rear tire and gel cell, etc. My concern is the seemingly high reported instances of final drive failures being noted on this model. Has this failure ever been addressed to a satisfactory conclusion by BMW for this model year? Would it be better to look for a newer model in the 2002-2005 model range? Am extremely interested in your opinions since I am not familiar with the bike beyond what I've read here.

Thanks in advance,
JMan

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Have a Y2K model myself .... Purchased used with 8K, Now have 30K with not a single issue.

With the money you will save, ride on and give it no further thought.
If it fails just fix it :)

BTW. Percentage of pre 2002 bikes with rear end issues is still only @ 3%

Ride it like you stold it !!!

JMHO.
Scott

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
99 with 72,000 and zero drive trouble.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Same here

If the deal's good go for it..

1999 42K miles. no probs.

But I do have a spare drive...:D

Buy that puppy..

See you on the road.

John

·
Registered
96 Posts
34,000 on my '99 and not a hint of trouble. Rear Drive drain shows no sign of failure. I use Mobil 1 in the rear drive.

No worries here.

·
Registered
348 Posts

I've got a 216k mile 1999. If I were buying a used 1999-2002, I'd pay an extra $200 and have the rear drive crown bearing replaced before it needed it, just for the peace of mind. If it fails and you don't catch it in time it could cost 5 times that much, plus a ruined vacation...

·
Registered
805 Posts
'99 with 48,000 miles, no mechanical problems in the 15 months that I have had it. I love the bike. However, I am going to look into replacing the bearing in the final drive before too long, will probably do it this winter. I look on it as insurance.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Greetings Jman.

Your '99 LT sounds like a bargain as mine was too. Grab your LT, ride the sh#t out of it and enjoy cruising.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts