BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today, I went to the International Motorcycle Show in Washington, D.C. BMW motorcycles were conspicuously absent. None. There were two BMW dealers there but not one BMW motorcycle. Evidently, BMW Motorcycles market themselves and their dealers enjoy absolute customer loyalty...imagine!

·
Registered
265 Posts
My father and I went to Chicago last year and it was the same story. There was a local dealer, and the Chicago area BMW club. The club had a better display than the dealer. The word I got from a club member is that BMW says it is VERY expensive to import their bikes and gear 'just' for the show.

This is peculiar because BMW used to be a feature at the shows. They were very prominent. I am going to the show in Chicago again in February. I was really hoping to see the new LT but I really didn't expect to see them there.

I just find it curious that there are so many other manufacturers that make the trip. I just like being able to see the latest models, and kick tires with industry insiders. I guess we can just forget about that.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
They did it last year and will probably do it again next year. Guess the attendance numbers aren't there at the shows besides LA/NYC to justify the expense.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
StLHeadake said:
My father and I went to Chicago last year and it was the same story. There was a local dealer, and the Chicago area BMW club. The club had a better display than the dealer. The word I got from a club member is that BMW says it is VERY expensive to import their bikes and gear 'just' for the show.

This is peculiar because BMW used to be a feature at the shows. They were very prominent. I am going to the show in Chicago again in February. I was really hoping to see the new LT but I really didn't expect to see them there.

I just find it curious that there are so many other manufacturers that make the trip. I just like being able to see the latest models, and kick tires with industry insiders. I guess we can just forget about that.
Maybe they just can't compete with HD in their own back yard.

Went to the bike show once in Chi-town and there was more custom choppers than anything else. BMW was there that time with an LT and a K13GT as there main display.

·
Registered
832 Posts
StLHeadake said:

BMW was not at the Chicago motorcycle show for at least the last two years.
Last year, Chicago BMW brought a 1000RR and displayed it in the Chicago Area BMW club's area in one of the side rooms off of the main floor.
I can remember when BMW had a big walk-thru semi truck with displays inside and about a dozen bikes along side on the show floor.
Triumph has also been absent but, I hear that they will be in attendance this year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts