BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys...because of you I'm getting interested in doing some of my own wrenching...but I'm very nervous and not much of a mechanic. First problem...my 09 LT is getting a bit slow starting after it sits for 8 or so hours. I'm also experiencing intermittent radio thru the headset only...the speakers work continuously. I've swapped my cord for a new one and it still happens so I think the cord(s) are fine. Is it possible that a low battery could make the blackouts in the headset? Maybe it's just the 5 pin plugin that I had installed for the headsets in May.

I've just pulled the battery and I'm doing a deep cycle charge as the dealer said to do (didn't mention to them about the headset/radio problem just the slow turnover on startup). I know living here in the Phoenix area the heat is hard on the batteries of cars so I assume it is on the LT as well. I ride approx. 6 days a week and I've put 18k on the bike since getting it. So, it's got a total of 22k on the original battery...it's 2 years old and it's been in the Phoenix heat for 14 months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Jim,

After you charge the battery, take it to a battery store or service shop and get it LOAD TESTED, that will give you a true picture of your battery condition. If that proves good, start looking at connections, not only at the battery but also the other end of the cable both positive and negative.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That AZ sun will kill batterys faster for sure.......
I just replaced mine after alittle less then 2 years i have a 2008 in the ca desert

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boatzo and Woody,
Thanks for the replies. I charged the battery all night and put it back in this morning before work. It fired up strongly and the radio/headset worked until I stopped at the first stop sign. It blanked out but my intercom was activated even though I was solo. When I started rolling again the radio/headset worked perfectly until the next stop light (weird). It repeated that process all the way to work. I doubt the battery had anything to do with all that but I dunno.

The only other thing I'm wondering about is maybe some water got into the 5 pin plug in that my wife uses. I noticed that the protective spring loaded door on her plug in is not working correctly and it stays open a little bit. I wash the bike each week on my days off and I just washed it last Monday...and that's when the radio problem started.
thanks again

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For any/everybody:
Just got off the phone with my dealer service writer. After describing the radio/headset/intercom problems he told me that the battery will indeed cause those types of problems when it falls below 10 volts.

I've ordered a new battery and bmw battery charger from A & S and hopefully that should fix it.

Hope this can help somebody else

1 - 5 of 5 Posts