BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a 2004 LT for a few months now and by searching thru all your threads have managed to solve most every problem that has come up. There is probably an easy fix for this problem, I just can’t find it.

My high and low beam headlights are intermittent together. Because they are intermittent we know the bulbs are good. The high beam indicator light stays on no matter the switch position. All blinkers, dash lights, parking light, etc, are working. I have read the posts but can find nothing relating to just the driving lights. I am thinking ground wire is the most likely cause.

My question is, is there a ground or disconnect that could be loose that I can get to without pulling all the tupperware off. I have searched Clymer and the 2004 manual on CD but can’t find anything that shows the connections.

Any ideas on this problem would be appreciated.

Regards,

Charlie

·
Registered
339 Posts
Pull the cover off the rear headlight access, and wiggle the plugs, make sure they are connected fully. This happened to mine, found a loose connector, plugged the sucker in properly and all is fine.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
There is a ground connector inside the headlight where both bulbs are grounded. Fairly often these develop a looseness or a little corrosion and start to heat up, until the connection becomes totally unreliable. Check that. Hard to see with just the cover off though. It is near the top front of the assembly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your input. It turned out to be a loose connection on one of the lights or maybe a little corrosion on the ground. I will check it a little better when I pull all the tupperware off for the 24K checkup.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Yes, this was exacly what happened to my head lights a few weeks ago. The ground connection developed corrosion!!! It is located just under the head light kinda tight spot for sticking fingers there :)

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Can anyone explain how the headlight ground causes the high beam indicator to stay lit regardless of high beam switch position?

It looks to me that the indicator gets power from the multiswitch at the same time as the high beam but uses a different ground, regardless, doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Elementary Mr. Watson!

bowlesj said:
Can anyone explain how the headlight ground causes the high beam indicator to stay lit regardless of high beam switch position?

It looks to me that the indicator gets power from the multiswitch at the same time as the high beam but uses a different ground, regardless, doesn't make sense to me.

High and low beam share a ground connection bus (same wire). If the ground opens, (the one in the headlight) the current flow is through the low beam filament to the ground bus (which is now isolated and no longer a ground potential) through the high beam filament (from the ground bus) and back feeds the high beam wire from the switch. The high beam indicator is connected to that wire and has its own ground and therefore glows .

Clear as mud, huh.

HTH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts