BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an intermittent problem with my cruise-control system on a 2005 K1200LT. The problem seemed to surface after my dealer replaced the switch for the windshield adjustment. After they did this I have noticed when the cruise control is moved to the ON position and engaged, the RED indicator light intermittently turns off. This obviously stops any cruise set point that was in progress. If I apply a very small amount of pressure using my index finger near the word ON, I can make the RED indicator turn off and on.

I have inspected the multifunction switch and associated wires. Nothing appears to be wrong. While the multifunction switch is removed from the handlebars, everything works without error.

I have also noticed that the screw that holds the multifunction switch to the handlebar seems to enter into the picture. If the screw is tightened up very well, the RED indicator lamp for cruise-control does not want to turn on at all. If it is backed off a bit the RED indicator lamp for cruise-control seems to work better.

Also, when the High Lamp switch is turned to the ON position, it sometimes will cause the cruise-control to shut down. Has anyone seen these problems? Do I have a faulty multifunction switch?

·
Registered
511 Posts
eharris said:
Also, when the High Lamp switch is turned to the ON position, it sometimes will cause the cruise-control to shut down. Has anyone seen these problems? Do I have a faulty multifunction switch?

Based on your description I would say it has something to do with the switch. Will the dealer not look at it since the problem occured after they worked on it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no problem with the dealer looking at it. I was just trying to see if anyone has experienced this same problem in the past, prior to me going back in.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Have not personally seen that problem... but, it's worth letting their "warranty" cover.

I've had things like switches work perfectly because they are "trapped" by surrounding mechanism... Then as I take it apart, it disintegrates before my eyes. The best "fix" being to replace the switch.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2006 R1200LT is doing the same thing. The switch for the cruise seems to be intermittant. I have temporarily wedged a tiny piece of thin plastic under the left rear edge of the slide switch by the set button to alleviate the problem for the time being. The switch just stays in the on position and I'll leave it that way until it goes to the dealer very soon... still under warranty. We just bought the bike a week ago and it has 4300 miles on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts