BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I've seen demos of a similar product, including at the BMW MOA rally in Vermont, 2006. IIRC it was about $500-$700 at that time - they had both a vest and a full-jacket version. Seems expensive, but so much cheaper than broken ribs... or worse.

The older I get the more I think I'll have one of these some day.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
My partner has the Hit-Air jacket, made in Japan, which she bought for our upcoming trip. Cost was nearly $1000. It's activated by a cord if she flies off the bike with a certain force, but for her its piece if mind and another level of insurance.
Seems they are big sellers to some police forces, and other emergency service people who use bikes.
Interesting about the use of the accelerometers to trigger... I guess before long there'll be an Iphone app that can be used to set it off...... ;)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
That's the product I saw demo'd in '06. I'm sure it was approx. $700 at that time. Still, even at $1k it's cheaper/better than broken bones, or worse.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
harv054 said:
Interesting application of some auto safety technologies:

http://www.designnews.com/article/517158-Motorcycle_Monitor.php

Any thoughts ??
* The jacket should have standard armor and abrasion protection, in case the airbag fails to deploy.

* The airbag must be designed so that it does not injure the rider from its own deployment, such as breaking a rib from explosive compression. I assume that the design directs nearly all of the expansive force outward. I imagine that a careful fitting may be required. (What if the rider puts on 10 or 20 pounds extra weight after the original purchase?)

* The airbag must be very reliable, where the chances of an inappropriate deployment are very very low.

* Corollary to the above: When the airbag deploys, it must not restrict the rider's ability to maintain safe control of the motorcycle, especially in risky situations where the airbag might actually deploy, such as riding over a large pothole, 2x4, or other debris.

* The airbag must be very reliable, where the airbag is essentially guaranteed to deploy when needed. For most riders, it should go unused, as insurance. For those riders who truly need it, there will be one and only one chance to get it right.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I think I'd trust it over this form of safety gear... especially for my partner.
http://lonestarrider.blogspot.com/2009/08/2009-road-trip-day-5.html

I was considering getting one myself, but just couldn't mentally justify the extra $$$ when I didn't need a new jacket.
We did just by a SPOT tracker though, which is how I got onto the above link.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts