BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchase 100 55,000 mcd LEDs for about $15 delivered. I thought I'd make a set of front running lights for my RT & LT. Before I do, I thought I'd check and see if there is any interest in others to do the same. If so I will document and write up a brief how-to article and post it on my web server.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
I for one appreciate any and all instructions posted on this site ! ! ! :bmw:
Thanks for DO'IN it !

Sam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,474 Posts
Go for it, and I'd like to bet Ari is the first one to install them:) after you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
I may be interested!
I need a good reason to blow the dust off of mine!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
LTExfisher said:
I for one appreciate any and all instructions posted on this site ! ! ! :bmw:
Thanks for DO'IN it !

Sam
And I will second that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I'll document what I do and create a web page with manufacturer links for materials. It'll give me a chance to use my new camera.

I'm looking to build two basic shapes. A rectangular one that can be mounted with exterior mounting tape and a round one that can be mounted similar to motolights to improve visability.

I'll post a link to the web page when I get it done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,424 Posts
Rider West has kits already available for those that aren't much of a tinkerer. Rider West
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, RiderWest does not have a kit for what I was proposing. Hyperlights does have a solution however, for those that prefer the prebuilt choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,424 Posts
Sorry Arthur, I guess I misunderstood what you're up to. Pictures when you're done will be appreciated. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problem Steve, I reread my orignal post and noticed I wasn't quite specific enough. Here's a link to a web page with my current status. I'm stopping for the night to let the glue dry and tomorrow I will get to soldering the resisters and purchasing the plastic I need to make a mold for the epoxy base.

http://www.nt-guru.com//Motorcycle/FronLEDDrivingLights.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well bad news, the molds leaked. So I need to build a new set.

I suspect I should have used the silicon rubber seal instead of the wax seal. The epoxy has an exothermic reaction and I think it melted some of the wax sealing it as well as warping the mold and promoting leaks.

So, looks like I'll get a chance to rebuild it a bit cleaner this time around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
ArthurKnowles said:
I'm looking to build two basic shapes. A rectangular one that can be mounted with exterior mounting tape and a round one that can be mounted similar to motolights to improve visability.

I'll post a link to the web page when I get it done.
How about a star in a circle? (Just kidding!)

I admire those with imagination! Thank you for sharing your process with us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wacolt said:
How about a star in a circle? (Just kidding!)
I could do that! Might get nailed to a cross for my troubles though. :)

Truthfully, one of the nice things about DIY is you can be creative and make different shapes or outlines. And of course, there is always the smiley face to use too. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
I have been thinking about modifying the front turn signal housings to kind of replicate the audi R8's funky headlights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
ArthurKnowles said:
I could do that! Might get nailed to a cross for my troubles though. :)

Truthfully, one of the nice things about DIY is you can be creative and make different shapes or outlines. And of course, there is always the smiley face to use too. :)
Not sure how much you are spending on the parts plus what ever you value your time at, but I found these on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Supe...002QQitemZ120277545081QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
They are going for $12.99.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
The LED's from LED Options International (as noted on the eBay link in Hollywood's post) sure look like they'd do the trick, especially for the price. But be wary of the "Ultra Blue" color; that's a LE color in many states and border on what is legal and what isn't. Pick another color, probably save you a citation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I spent about $30 on LEDs. The rest is free (for me) as I have all the materials. But I may look into those as well. Different color though. I'm actually putting 24 LEDs in to each light. They are very bright. But ...

Pictures of my first molding disater are now online. One mold leaked. Both molds got overheated from the exothermic reaction fo the epoxy. And on the good one (more or less) wouldn't you know it ... one LED no longer works. I suspect the epoxy had something to do with that as it cured.

So, I have to build a new set. So, what did I learn?

1) Don't use so much epoxy. Only need enough to waterproof the electronics and provide a stable mounting point.

2) Make a better mold. SOmething that can take a bit of heat. Or use a different type of epoxy with less exothermic reaction. Or just less epoxy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
ArthurKnowles said:
I spent about $30 on LEDs. The rest is free (for me) as I have all the materials. But I may look into those as well. Different color though. I'm actually putting 24 LEDs in to each light. They are very bright. But ...

Pictures of my first molding disater are now online. One mold leaked. Both molds got overheated from the exothermic reaction fo the epoxy. And on the good one (more or less) wouldn't you know it ... one LED no longer works. I suspect the epoxy had something to do with that as it cured.

So, I have to build a new set. So, what did I learn?

1) Don't use so much epoxy. Only need enough to waterproof the electronics and provide a stable mounting point.

2) Make a better mold. SOmething that can take a bit of heat. Or use a different type of epoxy with less exothermic reaction. Or just less epoxy.
Take a look at some of those LED and HID lights on ebay. I have bought stuff from some of those guys out of Hong Kong and they ship fast.
They got some cool stuff if you look at there "other listed items".
Found some nice LED strip lights that you can bend in any shape..... IDEAS!
 

·
just a guy
Joined
·
31 Posts
Arthur,

If you can get some mold release, and/or think an aluminum mold would be handy, maybe I can help. Maybe line the aluminum mold with plastic notebook cover, tacked in place with contact cement?

all the best,

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I actually have some PVA mold release. Just didn't think I really needed it for a one-off project with the plastic. Usually plastic peels right off. It did this time too, but needed a bit of heat to pull it off.

I was thinking I'd do it the easy way with a bit of play-dough. It set's hard, but has a tendency to shrink a bit. So, I'll have to make a box to prevent compression on the mold. Basically, I'll put a completed LED module in the play-dough and lay a solid box on top of it so I have a mold that will hold the completed unit in place and still allow me to pour the expoxy. Just a 1/4" this time. And before I use it, I'll spray it full of PVA and put a couple of dental floss lines under it to make it easier to remove.

I also looked at a coupld o LED items on eBay, but the shipping charges still make them more expensive. BEside, I guess I really just want to do it myself anyway. :)
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top