BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I got my headsets and hooked them up to the bike and I noticed something. When the balance is 0, the LH earpiece is barely audible. If I push the LH side balance up to 9, it sounds balanced and good. Have you all heard of anything like that before? Hopefully there's not somthing wrong with the com system on my "new" bike. The radio plays fine with no balance issues at all over the outside speakers BTW...

Sunshine

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Is this with the headset in the helmet? Are the earphones centered on your ears? Also is this a new bike or used?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have taken the headsets out of the helmets to more easily hold them to my ears. The bike is an 02 if that makes any difference. I have 3 headsets and all 3 of them do the same thing too so it's not just one set that does it.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Sounds to me like a couple of wires are touching that shouldn't be, and most of the audio that supposed to go to the left speaker is not getting there. Otherwise, I thought for sure you had a placement issue...but I guess not.

What brand intercom system?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
messenger13 said:
Sounds to me like a couple of wires are touching that shouldn't be, and most of the audio that supposed to go to the left speaker is not getting there. Otherwise, I thought for sure you had a placement issue...but I guess not.

What brand intercom system?
Whatever came with the bike.... It'a an Autocom isn't it?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Sunshine said:
Whatever came with the bike.... It'a an Autocom isn't it?
Autocom's are an aftermarket intercom system, albeit one of the most common. If it is an AutoCom, they tie into the stereo system with a cable that comes off of the rear speaker leads under the pillion seat. That cable may be slightly shorting out on the left side.

How about the sound coming out of the LT's speakers? Good balance?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
messenger13 said:
How about the sound coming out of the LT's speakers? Good balance?
Yes, the radio speakers play correctly without having to skew the balance control. The intercom has the issue with both rider and passenger plugs.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have the same issue just not as pronounced. I have a 2002 hooked to an Autocom. I just put in the extra balance and forgot about it until seeing your post.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's The Autocom

If you have a autocom, then it is the cause of the balance issue. I have the same issue. When I asked autocom about stereo separation and balance I was told that the unit does not provide total stereo separation or complete balance control. To prove this I took the autocom cord that goes from the rear speakers to the autocom audio input. I put a stereo female to female connector on the autocom cord, and plugged a stereo head set into the other end of the female connector. Listened to the headset and stereo separation was much improved. Tried the balance control on the radio went to full left and heard left headset speaker only. Went to full right and heard the right headset speaker only. When the cord is plugged back into the autocom I can not get complete separation using the balance control. It will only slightly reduce the volume level going from full left or full right in each of the helmet head set. Using the bike speakers I can get complete full left and full right control.

Joe

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
rovero said:
If you have a autocom, then it is the cause of the balance issue. I have the same issue. When I asked autocom about stereo separation and balance I was told that the unit does not provide total stereo separation or complete balance control.
Just one more reason for me to never even mildly recommend AutoCom as an intercom solution.

·
Registered
96 Posts
On occasion, I get the same problem on my 06 with factory installed comm system. I fix it by unplugging/re-plugging helmet cords and re-setting intercom settings in glove compartment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts