BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are currently using a Scala Rider Cardo TeamSet intercom. While generally old, it has two annoying features. First, when the intercom is activated, the music is completely cut off. Second, the VOX is too sensitive to ambient noise, so on occasion, the intercom turn on for a ling time (over one hour). This kills my music, which is irritating.

Is anyone aware of an intercom setup the lowers the music volume when e intercom activates?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Autocom Super Pro AVI

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Baehr intercom but I don't think you can get them unless you get a used one. If you get a chance on a used one grab it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
i don't have the VOX issue at all. WRT the cutting the music with intercom, you don't want music WHILE talking do you????? or are you saying after activation and/or use, it doesn't come back on?

have you updated the SW via SCALA website?
have you contacted SCALA. they have a CS group that seems to know their product

good luck

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because of airflow and other ambient noise, the VOX tends to cut the intercom on when no conversation is intended, or prevents the intercom from returning to standby. The VOX circuit sensitivity is not adjustable (at least on our model), so that is out.

If the system continued to play music (at a lower volume, of course), it would be acceptable, but it does not. I suspect that there is no simple fix for this short of designing my own system. I used to be a fair hand at analog design, but that was a few years ago, and my RF design skills are non-existent.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because of airflow and other ambient noise, the VOX tends to cut the intercom on when no conversation is intended, or prevents the intercom from returning to standby. The VOX circuit sensitivity is not adjustable (at least on our model), so that is out.

If the system continued to play music (at a lower volume, of course), it would be acceptable, but it does not. I suspect that there is no simple fix for this short of designing my own system. I used to be a fair hand at analog design, but that was a few years ago, and my RF design skills are non-existent.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
+1 on the Autocom Super Pro units. There is a VOX break pot that can be set for sensitivity to open the mic to the intercom. When the VOX triggers, the music or whatever else is on other channels is muted down, and recovers automatically when the talking stops. Great units !

And the best part : No stupid bluetooth pairing compatibility nonsense to deal with. Wires just work. If I need to talk to someone, I can use the HAM radio stuff to most of my riding buddies. Works much farther anyway ! :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
i haven't tried the wired set yet. but i can say the noise filtering of the Sena system is incredible. i have not had any false triggering, nor have i heard of anyone even noticing i'm on a bike wihen i receive a phone call on the Blue Tooth phone side.

personally i cannot see any reason for anything other than voice when using the intercom. but that's my personal thought. to each his (her) own.

as far as designing something.....wow i haven't done anything like that in 40 years!

My Camel/WB9GMO/4

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will look at the Sena system. The real problem is the false triggering from ambient noise. I suspect there isn't much that can be done on that with the current system.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'm guessing there's some relevant information under the "Accessories, Gadgets, and Gear" forum for this topic.

I'm also guessing you're using open-faced helmets of some sort?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts