BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just picked up an '08 LT in blue, thanks to some good advice on this forum. She's a beaut!

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33396

One question though. It must be me because the intercom can't suck this bad. We had an Autocom on our RT and worked GREAT. With the built in BMW intercom on the LT we have a hard time hearing each other on the freeway and when we stop our conversation, there is this loud static sound that lasts for 5 seconds or so and then stops and the music resumes. This only happens on the freeway and not on local roads for some reason. This also happens the same with no music playing, the 5 seconds of static. Also, when we initiate a conversation it starts at a much higher volume than the rest of the conversation.

Any of you seasoned LT owners have some advice on settings/tips or is this just the way it is the the LT intercom?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
tedree said:
We just picked up an '08 LT in blue, thanks to some good advice on this forum. She's a beaut!

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33396

One question though. It must be me because the intercom can't suck this bad. We had an Autocom on our RT and worked GREAT. With the built in BMW intercom on the LT we have a hard time hearing each other on the freeway and when we stop our conversation, there is this loud static sound that lasts for 5 seconds or so and then stops and the music resumes. This only happens on the freeway and not on local roads for some reason. This also happens the same with no music playing, the 5 seconds of static. Also, when we initiate a conversation it starts at a much higher volume than the rest of the conversation.

Any of you seasoned LT owners have some advice on settings/tips or is this just the way it is the the LT intercom?

Thanks

My 06 LT has none of your concerns. Take a moment and carefully read the instruction manual. The crackling noise is something else though. Check for dirt in the plug connectors or faulty /problem with headset. After that have the dealer check since it's under warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe. I went to 2 dealers. 1 yesterday and 1 today. They both tested it out in the parking lot. Probably not the best way though. I just checked the conectors and they look clean. I think something else is wrong. Hopefully not a big deal.

SmokinJoe said:
My 06 LT has none of your concerns. Take a moment and carefully read the instruction manual. The crackling noise is something else though. Check for dirt in the plug connectors or faulty /problem with headset. After that have the dealer check since it's under warranty.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I also have a 2008 LT with similar intercom symptoms. I believe that the 5 seconds of out of nowhere static is the vox initiating the system from wind noise. I have my vox set to 3, but I'll be raising it to 4 or 5 to see if I can cure that problem. I also had an autocom on my RS and found it clearer at highway speeds. That first loud burst when you start a conversation makes you jump until you get used to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the exact problem we are having. I have the VOX set to 3 right now. I tried 4 and 5 but it wasn't sensitive enough to activate.

Kinda frustrating considering the price of these headsets alone was $500 and the Autcom only cost $300 total.

Thanks for the info.

mccodavj said:
I also have a 2008 LT with similar intercom symptoms. I believe that the 5 seconds of out of nowhere static is the vox initiating the system from wind noise. I have my vox set to 3, but I'll be raising it to 4 or 5 to see if I can cure that problem. I also had an autocom on my RS and found it clearer at highway speeds. That first loud burst when you start a conversation makes you jump until you get used to it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
That loud static you here is the VOX keeping the mike open when you finish talking. You have it set too sensitive. Set the Vol 1/2 way and the VOX to zero. Tinker from there.

For best results at hwy speed we turn the VOX sensitivity to it's lowest setting. Have to hold the PTT button more but the static is gone. For even better results, set the Vol a little lower and speak up a little louder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts