BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to add an intercom mainly so that my wife and I can talk while we ride. (Yeah I can hear the jokes already).

Really.... I think she's ride more often if we could talk without yelling at each other (even more jokes coming)

But here's my problem. Unless it's below 40 deg out, I hate to where a full face helmet. And my wife prefers an open helmet cause she ain't ridin when it's cold or raining anyway. So I wondered how well intercom systems work with open helmets? FWIW I will likey go with an intraride system.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have been riding with an open face helmet ever since I got my '99 LT.
J & M makes several mic & ear phone combinations that interface with the LT's ComSystem and work great for music and intercom. Get the best system they offer and I'm sure you'll like it. BTW, I use ear plugs all the time and they add to my listening enjoyment because I can listen to music without the wind noise at 80 MPH.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Curtis,

I have experience on Autocom and Baehr with Caberg Justissimo flip-up helmets. Summer 2004 I had Autocom and wore the Caberg without the flip-up part (as 3/4 helmet). I was able to adjust the VOX with Autocom so that there was no problem with conversation either on cell phone or with passenger.

This summer I had switched to Baehr and no longer used the Caberg completely without the flip-up but rode occasionally on the highway and mostly all the time in city traffic with the flip-up raised up. I have the boom mic in Baehr and again no problems with conversation with the pillion. However, my experience is limited to reasonable speeds with helmet open as my wife (and myself also) want to close the helmet on speeds above 60 - 70 mph. But I could guess that Baehr having so many adjustment possibilities one could easily adjust the sensitivity suitable for open helmets as well.

Regards

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I have used Autocom in Arai Sz/m 3/4 helmets with excellent results. Easy install, and the helmet is quieter than most full face helmets anyway.

·
Registered
588 Posts
dshealey said:
I have used Autocom in Arai Sz/m 3/4 helmets with excellent results. Easy install, and the helmet is quieter than most full face helmets anyway.
I did a 2,000 mile trip to the Black Hills with a Starcom1 unit with flip helmets. The system actually worked better when the flips were open. No wind swirling around in the helmets.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I need to get to ordering one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts