BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to purchase a used LT and I'm gathering insurance quotes. I have all my coverage through Allstate (Auto, Life, Home) and they just informed me they don't write motorcycle policies in CA anymore and they work through a company called McGraw. The quote is coming in at $900/year with 100/300 liability and $350 deductable - no options. As far as I can tell this is mostly based on engine displacement. No discount for MSF course and no good driver discount because I haven't had a motorcycle license for a year. No other discounts offered. To me, this is prohibitive and will keep out of biking. Is this the types of rates you are all paying? What are some other recommendations of companies to quote. Thank you,

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
dglenn1 said:
I'm trying to purchase a used LT and I'm gathering insurance quotes. ..... The quote is coming in at $900/year with 100/300 liability and $350 deductable - no options. ...Is this the types of rates you are all paying? What are some other recommendations of companies to quote. Thank you,
I think you'll find most here in the NorCal group use Foremost. I was paying $440 a year on a brand new LT with garanteed replacement the first two years. The rate dropped to $250 when I got the second bike (yes, Wolfgang costs a ton to insure, but at 163 horsepower I'm not complaining)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try a quote on Progressive.

I have the MSF discount with 300CSL, comp, collision, roadside and $1000 deductibles for $380 per year.

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Try Progressive

I was very disappointed with the 100/300 coverage so I started shopping. (Incidentally, how does one get to $300,000 aggregate with $100,000 per person on a 2-wheel vehicle?). I wanted to have coverage limits of $500k combined single limit. It was not cheap but met my needs. The cost was $680, which was actually less than most quotes at 100/300.

Tom

·
Registered
522 Posts
w0w... my insurance here is $3600/year. That's with a 40% safe driving discount.
I have 100 deductable collision, 300 Fire & Theft and 1mill personal liability

Cheers

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
Mine runs $324/year with good driver discount, 25 years experience, and always garaged. That's for $100K/$300K with a $500 deductible through Foremost.

Note that location plays a huge role in insurance rates.

·
Registered
17 Posts
One thing I've always wondered....

If you've got a good health plan already, why double it up and add medical on the insurance for car and auto for yourself?

Are there magical exclusions somewhere?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Inexperience and Zip Code

Looks like my inexperience and zip code are by biggest obstacles. Even taking liability down to minimums (15,30,10) with no other coverage, I can only get my rate down to the low $500's annual. Adding Comprehensive at $1000 deductable puts me in the $700's and forget about Collision and uninsured motorist. "Full" coverage is toping $2800! Looks like I'll have to get over the sticker shock if I want to start riding.

It might be a bit stereo typical but one agent said, "There are just to many middle age guys out there buying Harleys ... like my husband! They think they can ride, but they can't. We're replacing bikes right and left and just can't afford to do it." (Paraphrased slightly.) They actually sound pleasantly surprised when they find out I have a license and I took the MSF course.

This is where I start to have an issue with the "its my life I can do what I want with it" folks. No helmets, minimal gear, no license. It really does effect the community and it really isn't a choice that is just their's. But they probably don't buy insurance either. (Soapbox off before I get way off track.)

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try to PM some the San Diego riders and see what they are doing.
Hopefully I'll get past this and have a bike soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Dan.

If you're a pretty newly licensed rider, I can tell you now you're going to have some high rates; really no way around it. :(

Kudos on taking the MSF course! I took it back in 2002 just for the fun of it and walked away with some good knowledge.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I would really think hard about giving your insurance coverage amounts out to the public guys. You can never tell how it will be used against you in the future. When you are involved in an accident, the only person who knows your coverage limits is your agent. Seems to me someone would be more likely to go after a claim if they knew how high the policy limits (and possible award) would be. Just something to think about.

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
graydude said:
I would really think hard about giving your insurance coverage amounts out to the public guys. You can never tell how it will be used against you in the future.
Are you implying that there is motor vehicle insurance fraud..... here, in California? :confused:

Say it isn't so :( ;)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Giving out insurance coverage

Do a google search for "echelon" and then tell me you're worried about publicizing insurance coverage...

shhhh.... they're listening....

·
Registered
17 Posts
graydude said:
I would really think hard about giving your insurance coverage amounts out to the public guys. You can never tell how it will be used against you in the future. When you are involved in an accident, the only person who knows your coverage limits is your agent. Seems to me someone would be more likely to go after a claim if they knew how high the policy limits (and possible award) would be. Just something to think about.
When in an accident both insurance companies are required to disclose the full binder upon contact...

They then pass the info on to their subscribers... No secrets.

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
Hm, "echelon," isn't that the evil company Sandra was fighting in The Net? :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Man looking at all these insurance quotes I pay 270.00 yearly for full coverage 1000.00 deductable for 15/30 coverage from geico I know it isn't as much coverage as some of you elect to have. Some of the quotes I read wow they are high!!

Ron

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Progressive, multi bike discount $344 per yr w/$250 deduct full coverage.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where?

I am not finding the link from the BMWMOA site for an insurance quote. Interested in checking it out. Thanks for the lead.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, that did it. If I stay with just liability and property damage, quote is $282. Adding comprehensive @ $1000 deductable is $755. Fairly reasonable based on what I've been able to find.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts