BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's been a number of years since I've owned a motorcycle, so it's been a long time since I've purchased motorcycle insurance.

I clicked on the "Insurance" link on the forum header. One provider is shown, Geico.

My questions are; What has been your experience with the large national insurance providers or have you used a local agent to procure insurance? What do you recommend?

Thank you.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,561 Posts
I have been with Progressive for 17 years on just my bikes (USAA for the cars and home). Had an "accessory" claim for $2,900 on my Bushtec trailer when it flipped over 2 years ago and the rates never went up. Here in Alabama I cover two bikes, K1200LT and K1300GT, for an annual premium of $269. There are several motorcycle specific insurers like Dairyland, Geico etc. If you do a search here you may find some threads where everyone compared their insurers.

With your project coming up you have some time to shop around for the best deal. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have Progressive and am in Virginia. I flipped my sidecar rig a year ago. Progressive gave me enough to get a newer, nicer rig , a new helmet and riding pants. How they handle claims is the true measure of an insurance company. They all excel at collecting your premiums.

·
Super Moderator
1,410 Posts
Just remember that all vehicle rates are by state / area thus rates can vary wildly based on where you live and less on what you ride, your age and you record!!

Been with State Farm with no claims and the rate drops year after year - most likely due to my age . . .

What drives me crazy is the savings claims that several firms advertise on TV!!

And is it me or are there just:
- too many vehicle firms advertising on TV
- too many wacky insurance commercials

Rant off . . .

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have been with Progressive for 17 years on just my bikes (USAA for the cars and home). Had an "accessory" claim for $2,900 on my Bushtec trailer when it flipped over 2 years ago and the rates never went up. Here in Alabama I cover two bikes, K1200LT and K1300GT, for an annual premium of $269. There are several motorcycle specific insurers like Dairyland, Geico etc. If you do a search here you may find some threads where everyone compared their insurers.

With your project coming up you have some time to shop around for the best deal. :)
An annual premium of $269 for two bikes... I would kill for that since the lowest I’ve seen up here so far is like $800 EACH. Canada eh. But then again I have to factor in the exchange rate...

Reactions: Tj Nigro

·
Registered
91 Posts
Insurance companies are changing there way with dealing with claims. I have one here with State Farm I don't think they know what there doing. Its on 5 weeks already. First they took it to the salvage yard, then took them over a week to bring it to the shop, now it another week and no one knows what is going on. Out of all the companies I work with I would say Progressive is one of the best ones out there. I have them on my own bikes a cars and I work with them on the premium price.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys!

Your input has been very helpful.

Unless someone chimes in with some Progressive horror stories, I'm going to give them a hard look.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just remember that all vehicle rates are by state / area thus rates can vary wildly based on where you live and less on what you ride, your age and you record!!

Been with State Farm with no claims and the rate drops year after year - most likely due to my age . . .

What drives me crazy is the savings claims that several firms advertise on TV!!

And is it me or are there just:
- too many vehicle firms advertising on TV
- too many wacky insurance commercials

Rant off . . .
It's not just you. They are trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Buying insurance is a pretty serious matter. They are all competing to have the funniest, cutest ad. What does humor have to do with buying insurance? To me, it's stupid. But it does work. Heck, we're talking about it...

·
Registered
723 Posts
I've done both: thru an agent and direct thru the company website. There was little difference in price and service.
If you like your agent, you can keep him or her.
Bundling with your other policies can help lower premiums but it depends on your carrier. Some carriers are very risk averse and charge at the top of the range for motorcycles because they want all their policy holders driving a Gran Marquis or a Prius.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I don't know why but when I bought insurance for my new '16 RT GEICO was far cheaper than Farmers (I had 3 homes and 2 cars covered by them), and about 2/3 of the cost of Progressive for identical coverage, so I went w/ GEICO. I haven't had any claims but according this this article customer satisfaction is better w/ GEICO and the article validates the cost diff as well:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/geico-vs-progressive-auto-insurance/

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Based on what I'm seeing, $269 annually for 2 bikes is incredibly cheap. What kind of coverage does that get you? Did you go with all minimal coverage?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,561 Posts
That was full coverage 250, 500 & 100K liability with 250 deductible on comprehensive and 1,000 deductible on collision. This includes 3,000 in accessory coverage. But AL is a very inexpensive state. Also I am out in the county and not in a city.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
But AL is a very inexpensive state. Also I am out in the county and not in a city.
+2! State minimum liability coverage for my four bikes is $7 each (the '91 RS gits a $1 discount for the ABS), uninsured coverage is $35 each, with Progressive per year.

They sent a letter the other day to call to see if I qualified for more discounts.
I only insure the bikes with Progressive.

Reactions: Tj Nigro
1 - 14 of 14 Posts