BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the instuctions for the front tire removal could use some editing, Instead of "place appropriate screw drive into quick release axle and turn slightly and remove" it should read "place screwdriver into the this is going to suck to take out axle, turn until the screw driver until it breaks, then swear for a few minutes, grab a socket extension and place on the rim of the axle and beat the thing out" I will say the rear tire removal was super easy. But to cap off the day my kids were outside and after i got the front tire off I heard my 7 year old daughter say "wow this lever is really easy to squeeze". I turned around and she was running the front brake lever. At least it was pretty easy to squeeze the pistons back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
I took off my front tire for the first time a few months ago. Other than being a bit more complex than the rear, it came apart easily. Hopefully you cleaned all the parts up and gave it a thin coat of grease to make next time better. The part about your daughter made me cringe and laugh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
Did you loosen the pinch bolts prior to removing the front axle? If not, therein lies the problem!
Also, remember to bounce the front end up & down a few times on the front wheel before tightening the pinch bolts back.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AlaskaFish said:
Did you loosen the pinch bolts prior to removing the front axle? If not, therein lies the problem!
Also, remember to bounce the front end up & down a few times on the front wheel before tightening the pinch bolts back.

John

Oh yeah, I lossened everything, It was just a stubborn SOB, hopefully my front tire comes in soon so I can start riding it again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,546 Posts
bowsandreels said:
I think the instuctions for the front tire removal could use some editing, Instead of "place appropriate screw drive into quick release axle and turn slightly and remove" it should read "place screwdriver into the this is going to suck to take out axle, turn until the screw driver until it breaks, then swear for a few minutes, grab a socket extension and place on the rim of the axle and beat the thing out" I will say the rear tire removal was super easy. But to cap off the day my kids were outside and after i got the front tire off I heard my 7 year old daughter say "wow this lever is really easy to squeeze". I turned around and she was running the front brake lever. At least it was pretty easy to squeeze the pistons back.
Must be the 01 is different from the 07 as mine front axle came out easily when I changed my first front tire at 18,000 miles. Was your axle badly corroded?
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,942 Posts
Voyager said:
Must be the 01 is different from the 07 as mine front axle came out easily when I changed my first front tire at 18,000 miles. Was your axle badly corroded?


They are the same. Both require a light coat of grease to make the next removal easy. (and prevent corrosion)
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top