BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the electrical guys, as my knowledge is extremely limited. I'm installing a power cable for a Garmin Nuvi 550. I'm using a Centech AP-1 fuse block as the power distribution source. The Garmin power cable has an inline .75 amp fuse. There is a 5 amp fuse in the fuse block. Will using the 5 amp fuse in the fuse block damage the Garmin, melt the power cable, or blow the .75 amp inline fuse?

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
87 Posts
No, it will not harm the Garmin. Just KEEP the inline fuse INLINE and you are protected.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
For the electrical guys, as my knowledge is extremely limited. I'm installing a power cable for a Garmin Nuvi 550. I'm using a Centech AP-1 fuse block as the power distribution source. The Garmin power cable has an inline .75 amp fuse. There is a 5 amp fuse in the fuse block. Will using the 5 amp fuse in the fuse block damage the Garmin, melt the power cable, or blow the .75 amp inline fuse?

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL
Rob, just to help your understanding a little. The amp rating on the fuse is to limit the max amount of current that can flow through the wire into the device. It does not supply the current to the device. So in theory you could hook at least five Nuvi 550s to that Centech block.

HTH :wave

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John and Boots,

It was a good day, I learned something about electrics. The Nuvi is mounted and powered. Now it's time to upgrade the high beam to an HID while I have the nose cone off.

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts