BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to go with the Wunderlich top case rack and must admit was a little worried due to the size. I did go with the black one instead of chrome as I did not want it to stand out and preferred it blended in with the bike. I think it does not look to bad and works well with my waterproof roll pack.
It took me about 2 hours to install, spending most of the time ensuring it was centered on the top case before I drilled the mounting holes. I used green painters tape and actually taped the entire top of the case to ensure I did not scratch it. I then marked the 4 legs with a felt marked for drilling position. Removed the rack, drilled a 3mm (1/8") pilot hole and then a 7mm (17/64") hole.
When I inserted the mounting bolts and plastic washer from the inside I added black gasket silicone to the plastic washer as well as to the 4 rubber washers on the outside under the legs to ensure a waterproof seal. They provided 4 black cover caps for the bolt heads inside the case to finish off.

Randy Ferras
Blue 2012 K1600GTL

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
I added the chrome washers to spread the pressure
across a wider area at each attachment point.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/46037/132318

Trunk Rack Base Washer Kit, $18.00

Item: AMA 2013 American Motorcycle Accessories
Details: This is a trunk rack base washer kit. This kit consists of four 1 1/4" diameter chrome plated machined billet washers, four stainless steel backing washers and eight neoprene cushion washers. Use them in between your luggage rack and the trunk to help prevent cracking. They distribute the weight better and should fit any brand of luggage rack.

Changed the stock M6 x 18 screw with M6 x 25s to compensate for the additional thickness.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I am not one for top case racks unless I want to keep people from leaning on the case itself, but it looks like you did a really nice job putting the rack on your top case. The larger base washers sounds like a good idea too.

Rick H.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the chrome model on my RT
I only ever use it on a tour where I need some place to store my half cover between stops. Looks good IMHO!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts