BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Installed new tires and rear brake pads.

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jackd 
#1 ·
I had my new tires from SWMoto mounted and balanced today and I installed the wheels and a new set of EBC rear brake pads today.

I was a little nervous about the front wheel because many people have commented on difficulty removing and installing the front calipers. It must have been my lucky day because the calipers came right off and went back on just as easily. The rear pads were a breeze also.

I hope the slave cylinder drilling goes this easily.

Thanks,
Kevin

#3 ·
I just installed new tire also, no issues with the front calipers either. I keep reading you are supposed to remove the front fender also, did you?. This is the second set I replace & still can't figure out why you should remove the front fender?

#4 ·
Big_E said:
I just installed new tire also, no issues with the front calipers either. I keep reading you are supposed to remove the front fender also, did you?. This is the second set I replace & still can't figure out why you should remove the front fender?
I can't imagine why you would want to remove the fender..:confused: The service manual doesn't mention it..

#5 ·
jackd said:
I can't imagine why you would want to remove the fender..:confused: The service manual doesn't mention it..
Hey, Jack - yup, the Service and Technical Booklet, page 26, sez remove the front 'mudguard'. I think that they're thinking, by using the centerstand to support the bike, you won't be able to roll the front wheel out from beneath the fender. And that's prolly right, butt most folks jack the scoot up properly to allow clearance for the wheel to roll out, without the need to remove the front fender. Hopefully anyway - otherwise it's gonna take a nose dive!!

#6 ·
I didn't remove the front fender. It must be a German thing but I couldn't figure out any good reason to take it off. :rolleyes:

I'm kind of surprised that the manual didn't tell me to remove the exhaust to take the front wheel off. It seems like they want me to remove the exhaust for everything else.

Thanks,
Kevin

#7 ·
Dick said:
Hey, Jack - yup, the Service and Technical Booklet, page 26, sez remove the front 'mudguard'. I think that they're thinking, by using the centerstand to support the bike, you won't be able to roll the front wheel out from beneath the fender. And that's prolly right, butt most folks jack the scoot up properly to allow clearance for the wheel to roll out, without the need to remove the front fender. Hopefully anyway - otherwise it's gonna take a nose dive!!
OK, when I go to the bike later today I'll take a look. I gotta' C that!.. :eek:

I looked in the 'real' Service manual.... the PDF and on page 389 or or section 35.5 it doesn't mention that.. Silly me I thought they would be consistent. I guess the only thing we can be sure they will be consistent with is high prices...:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.