BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine guard that is!

I was wondering if I should install Ilium Works engine guards (Black) on my white RT or instead get Valve Covers installed as a protection.

Advantage of the ilium works engine guard bars of course is to be able to attach highway pegs to it. But on the other hand it has to rearrange the original spot/position of the driving lights via a bracket to the new installed bar.

Protective Valve covers doesn't offer anything other than extra protection but also I like their clean and not intrusive look and help keeping the bike look not too crowded with add on stuff...

Oh my, decisions, decisions!

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Illiums are a wallet load cheaper to replace than the damage to a '21 could cost.

I run them on my 2015 and though I did have to remount my Clearwater Darlas. I'm really pleased with how it all works out.

My 15 is Ebony so the black guards kinda blend but I don't think even on a white bike they'd look bad.

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT LE
29 Posts
You didn’t buy a cheap machine so don’t cheap out on protecting it. I ponied up the cash and did the Ilium guards, relocation bracket for lights, and highway pegs. Best decision ever.
2019 BMW RT white, bars in black.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don’t have a wethead, but I did consider crash bars. I thought these gave it a more clean look. The only downside, at least for the camheads, is that I have to remove all the plastic to get my valve covers off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
237 Posts
I went for valve covers, simple because they work for stationary drops well and stay quite inconspicuous as far as looks is concerned. I think if you end up sliding the bike down the road at speed, the bars will likely won't be much good either. They do look however quite good and help with highway pegs, if that is important to you.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Illium for me, front and rear. Like the rear because I quite often ride without bags and I can easily remove them. I had to use the bracket for the spots, not an issue. I have now installed Illium on 3 1250s on our fleet.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Installed the grey Ilium's (cylinder & pannier) and use the Denali D2 LED Light Kit mount on the bars with the CanSmart controller. Also added the B6 LED Brake Light Kit with the license plate mount. Also use Ilium Highway pegs.

Dropped my 2018 white RTW (purchased OWM in '19) on a freshly chip coated intersection with significant cant to the left. Couldn't hold the bike up and over she went. Due to the slope, my riding partner, and another auto driver (BMW Z car!) were able to upright the bike with my assistance. Later I inspected the guards and there was minimal damage to the left cylinder guard. Ordered the touch up paint and later realized that only the clear coat was affected.

On a previous Euro ride in Central Europe (Hungary) I dropped the tour rented RT on a moss-covered decorative concreted paver area near the gas pump on a foggy morning. Damaged the left cylinder protector and pannier cover. The tour agent properly charged me for the damage less me deductible for insurance. Check out on Bob's BMW fiche . . .lid pannier cover $400+ & cylinder head cover is $300+

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
I have the valve covers and they look neat and offer a clean look imho. My brother has the Ilium bars on his '16. Both look good imho. The saddle bag bars my not totally cover the bags from scuff marks on a drop, but Ilium may have addressed that concern?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You didn’t buy a cheap machine so don’t cheap out on protecting it. I ponied up the cash and did the Ilium guards, relocation bracket for lights, and highway pegs. Best decision ever.
2019 BMW RT white, bars in black.
Trust me as a guy who gone thru 8 brand new BMW models within the last 10 years I am not worrying about the cost but rather the look of the bike. I've had a 2018 RT before and had ilium bars on that one too. I was wondering if I am looking for safety in a busy or in a cleaner looking way. Also I hate the idea of ruining the original location and holders of the driving LED lights. But also I'd love to have highway pegs. Due to not having them on my GSA I ruined my knee after riding 2 days in a row 12 hrs and then 9 hrs... Then for 2 weeks I was on crutches and healing took over 7 weeks. Never again long rides without highway pegs!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts