BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am pricing new Springs or Shocks/Spring combo. My question is. How difficult is the job? It doesn't seem too terrible. The difficulty for me is going to be. I don't own a lift table. Is a table needed? Or. Can removal/replace be done regardless?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
You don't need a lift table. Place it on the center stand for the rear. You will need to be able to lift the wheel to get the lower bolt hole to line up. Easier than trying to compress the shock. The front will probably be easier down low also as the top bolt goes through the top center at the handle bar mount so you don't want that way up in the air and the lower bolt is in the center of the radiators. The top bolt on the rear will be the difficult one.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
Rear is easy but the top inner bolt can be tricky. The front you need the stingray off and handle bar covers off to get the disc off. The tank can stay on but everything is easier if it is off. The top nut on the shock has a plastic cover on it as it rubs close to the wire harness. If you leave the tank on just remove the nut for the sub frame bolt (arrow) in front of the shock nut and you can get to it easier with a box end wrench.

Reactions: GMSMOKR
1 - 3 of 3 Posts