BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've scanned the internet and found three major brands of bladders, Platypus Hoser, Camelback, and Osprey. I've also seen a couple of negative reviews of cheap bladders.

Youtube comparisons seem to rank Osprey over Platus over Camelback.

I've seen a couple of posts here of people using a tank bag to hold the bladder and using small type of cooler strapped to the passenger seat. I also see small back packs for bladders. My guess is that the backpack units won't do well with ice?

I'd appreciate any suggestions and comments about experience using bladders.

And comments or tips about using a bladder on long rides.

Best from tucson
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Bob,

99% of the backpack versions have a separate, waterproof "pocket" for the bladder that separates it from whatever else you want to carry in it.

I got a camebak from ebay last year, cheap version with only a neoprene "backpack" that holds only the bladder. Turns out, it's awesome as the neoprene acts as an insulator, keeps ice going for hours.

If you're just gonna' tuck it in a tank bag, don't buy the backpack version, just buy a replacement bladder w/hose. It'll cost you less than $30

Here's the 100oz Camelbak stowaway, no frills, just an insulated carrier...$38

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=X2IlUMPiMOqU2QXjzYCgBg&ved=0CJQBEPICMA0

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
BecketMa said:
I've scanned the internet and found three major brands of bladders, Platypus Hoser, Camelback, and Osprey. I've also seen a couple of negative reviews of cheap bladders.

Youtube comparisons seem to rank Osprey over Platus over Camelback.

I've seen a couple of posts here of people using a tank bag to hold the bladder and using small type of cooler strapped to the passenger seat. I also see small back packs for bladders. My guess is that the backpack units won't do well with ice?

I'd appreciate any suggestions and comments about experience using bladders.

And comments or tips about using a bladder on long rides.

Best from tucson
Bob
Bob, I will not travel without my 70oz Camelback. The wife and I each use one. We fill with ice (usually free at gas stops) and water and use hydration tablets (usually 2 of the NUUN brand). They usually last from gas stop to gas stop. You will need to take a leak then anyway. When I did my Saddlesore 1000 I went through seven 70oz bags. We are on our second set of Camelbacks now. Just sanitize them and dry them out. A Peet brand boot dryer has a hydration bag attachment (also glove and helmet dryer attachments). We wear ours on our backs (wife rides her own bike).

Robert

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Funny. You can make the most any hydration system a pressure hydration system too by blowing the bag full of air and squeezing.

As a long time backpacker, I have three of these bags and they work all about the same, one not really any better than another. My platypus has a quick connect - I could see this as being very convenient if you are keeping it in a cooler and have the bite tube connected to your suit.

I fill mine the night before and put in the freezer for it to thaw all day and give me cold water (another reason the quick connect might be valuable so the hose doesn't freeze).

·
Registered
372 Posts
Put mine in the tank bag. Wrap the jacket liner around it and it keeps ice most of the day. Keeps the weight off my back.

Don't put it in the jacket pocket and then lean back on the back rest!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I use the pressurized Geigerrig in my tank bag.
When the temperature is about 90 I spray water at my shirt and back of my neck while ridding.
I also spray the water out of the hose just before I drink. That way I don't get a mouthful of hot water.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Gregpinch said:
I use the pressurized Geigerrig in my tank bag.
When the temperature is about 90 I spray water at my shirt and back of my neck while ridding.
I also spray the water out of the hose just before I drink. That way I don't get a mouthful of hot water.
+1

The entire top of the bag opens, rather than a little screw opening, making it much easier to fill with ice and to clean (you can turn it inside out).

·
Registered
476 Posts
I always use a Camelback in my tank top bag which has an audio port that the hose pokes though. With the heat recently this has been mandatory. I fill with ice at each hotel or food place, top off with water and all is good!

·
Registered
149 Posts
On last years trip to AZ (on the Valkyrie)to see my daughter, I bought a cheapy wally world back pack with a bladder and used it for the trip. I'd fill it up about 80% each evening and freeze it. I used it to put all my clothes in, set it in the passenger pillon and had the tube where I could reach it over my shoulder.Worked just fine. The seams on the back pack started comming apart by the end of a 6 week trip due to over packing but it did the job. rain gear, tools, spare parts, safety items, bike cover, etc. in the bags.

NOTE. Water tubes don't work well with a full face helmet...modular can at least be lifted for a drink.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
2 litre Camelbak back carrier works great for me, neoprene cover on the tube for added insulation.

Fill the bag 50-70% full night before and freeze overnight, fill remainder in the morning.

Riding between Dallas and SoCal in hot WX, I drink a bottle of water/powerade/whatever before I head out in the morning to get ahead of the hydration curve. I diligently take four or five good gulps every fifteen minutes to keep up with fluid loss. I refill the bag at stops and try to drink an extra bottle at stops as well.

I like the wide-mouth camel bak over the follower top fill style. Easier and faster to open/close, and never problems getting ice in.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the valuable tips and comments about your experience. I ordered a Geigerrig via Amazon.

During most of the year here the humidity is in single digits. Being able to spray water on my knit jack will cool me off a lot.

I like the idea of using one's insulated clothing for the insulation. If I do that, I'll worry that when I'm not with my bike, someone might like the tank bag with my Gerbings long johns in it.

bob

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
BecketMa said:
Thanks for all of the valuable tips and comments about your experience. I ordered a Geigerrig via Amazon.

During most of the year here the humidity is in single digits. Being able to spray water on my knit jack will cool me off a lot.

I like the idea of using one's insulated clothing for the insulation. If I do that, I'll worry that when I'm not with my bike, someone might like the tank bag with my Gerbings long johns in it.

bob
+1 Yes... Thanks..

I too just ordered the same one, maybe... I ordered the 70 oz. Figured it would slip into an insulated cooler that I'll carry on the back seat. Just hope that the tube is long enough.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been meaning to reply to this thread for a couple of months.

I used to ride an FJR and lots of owners have a hydration system using a Coleman thermos, a bracket and a drink tube.

I finally ordered one early this summer from Garauld TechWorks.

I used to keep a bladder in my tank bag along with a bunch of other stuff including my camera. I keep buying better camera and I have gotten to the point where I was concerned about leakage and potentially ruining a camera.

I've been using it all summer and couldn't be happier. I even like the red of the thermos, it sort of goes along with the occasional hoonery that accompanies our rides. Fill with ice and water in the morning, have cool water all day. The thermos is 64 ounces.

Here's a pic followed by contact information if you're interested.

Gary Crowley

Garauld TechWorks LLC
61 John Smith Rd
Binghamton, NY 13901-5533

ph: 607-648-3978
iFax: 206-350-2931

email [email protected]

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had a cheapo backpack from wally world with a bladder attached in it's own pocket, which I used for my trip down to Az on the Valkyrie. I would fill it 3/4 full and freeze it. Worked perfectly, by the time I needed some water, enough had melted away so I had a wet, cold drink available..though by the end of the day what would be left was warm, but it was still wet, lol.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I use my bladder for dehydration..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts