BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, got the slave cylinder out and found gear oil in the slave cylinder chamber, so what is the part number for that shaft seal. You know the one under the slave cylinder, my guess is that the slave leaked and ruined that seal. Or the other way around, regardless, I need the seal, seems to me that I asked the dealer about that seal and they said that I shouldn't need to replace it. They also didn't have one on hand, anyone know where I can get one. Would appreciate it, summer is slipping away. Thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,168 Posts
I have one in a bag on my work bench but I am in the airport starting a 27 day trip so that is not much help

Be careful when you replace it, don't just press it in all the way. Measure the depth of the old one - take a pitcure and don't go any deeper with the new one. Brake fluid will destroy the rubber on this seal I am surprized your dealer did not recommend replacing it.

Here is the PN:
23127705085 shaft seal, drive shaft (17X28X7) BUY 1 $12.68

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, anyone know if I can just get the seal from a supply house, Applied Technologies list them in different profiles and Nitrile and Viton. The Viton should be compatible with both fluids, I haven't pulled the old one yet, and thought that I could match it up. Any thoughts, or is it a dealer item only?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,168 Posts
Look at my post again all the dimentions for the seal are there but good luck finding one. Likewise the o-ring for the rear engine shaft is 4 x 19 mm and all McMaster Carr has listed is 4 x 18 and 4 x 21, no 4 x 19mm.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, that o-ring, the 4x19mm is that a 19mm id with a 4mm cross section? Applied Technologies lists 8 17x28x7 seals, I just need to find out if I want rubber covered, viton and a dual lip. Too many choices, wish the dealer would have sold me one, I'd be done. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Look at item # 10's here: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/MainDiagrams.asp?VIN=ZD42488 they are for both the output and clutch seal.

I just replaced the input, output and clutch seal last Friday.

That is for my 99 LT yours may be different for a different year. Drew at MAX BMW was great help for me. Only problem is they are closed today (Mondays)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Garry, thanks for that tidbit, I was confused because there were two of them. I have to call the bearing service and see if they have them in stock, my guess is that the originals are nitrile, I might just try viton if it is available. Where is Caledon, I'm across the water from Amherstburg.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
maxposner said:
Garry, thanks for that tidbit, I was confused because there were two of them. I have to call the bearing service and see if they have them in stock, my guess is that the originals are nitrile, I might just try viton if it is available. Where is Caledon, I'm across the water from Amherstburg.
Caledon is north of Brampton which is north of Mississauga.

Good luck with the search,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found the seals at Bearing Service, bought a viton and nitrile, just because. Will use the viton and see what happens, the viton was 22 bucks and the nitrile was 5. Been to Brampton, worked in Guelph and passed through from Windsor to Niagara Falls many times. Nice part of the planet, good riding, and thanks to all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts