BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what are indicators when FD begins to fail. Can you tell it while riding? When I changed my rear tire last year and took it for a ride the bike started shaking. I rode it home and checked to ensure the tire mounting was correct (although I didn't check torque on the mounting bolts/nuts). Everything was fine and it's only done it once since then if I remember correctly. I have put a few hundred miles on it since without issue. Could this be an indicator of FD failure or could it be tire mounting related? I'd probably better drain the FD and check for metal flaking. The tire is a Metz 880.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I was riding along, with a brick wall to the right of me, and heard a buzzing sound bouncing off the wall...I was going about 40 mph. I slowed and it slowed, I pulled in the clutch and it still buzzed.....that told me it was the front or rear.

draining the oil told me the rest.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Take the rear wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and do a push with one hand and a pull with the other. Alternate the movement. Don't be a puss when you do it either. If you feel any movement then you are probably heading in the failure direction.
That's what mine did so we had it rebuilt. So far, so good!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellers!

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
It appears you're not getting a lot of response to your question. Probably cause it's been well documented already. I wrote about my symptoms here in message #6 and also, within that message, I cited another reference. A search of "FD" should find a lot more info.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jers99lt said:
It appears you're not getting a lot of response to your question. Probably cause it's been well documented already. I wrote about my symptoms here in message #6 and also, within that message, I cited another reference. A search of "FD" should find a lot more info.Jer
Thanks Jerry. That's what I was looking for. I did try searching yesterday for info, but was too specific in my search query apparently. I'm beginning to think FD failure is a possibility now. What threw me was the fact that I experienced this "phenomenon" on the first ride after replacing the rear tire. The vibration was like that of a low tire. Then it went away. I haven't noticed any oil under the FD, but sure will be keeping an eye out for it. Still have a year of extended warranty, so better ride it hard and see if it'll fail.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Reid said:
I'm wondering what are indicators when FD begins to fail. Can you tell it while riding? When I changed my rear tire last year and took it for a ride the bike started shaking. I rode it home and checked to ensure the tire mounting was correct (although I didn't check torque on the mounting bolts/nuts). Everything was fine and it's only done it once since then if I remember correctly. I have put a few hundred miles on it since without issue. Could this be an indicator of FD failure or could it be tire mounting related? I'd probably better drain the FD and check for metal flaking. The tire is a Metz 880.
My first indication was a definite vibration coming through the footpegs. It went totally out about 450 miles later. I should have stopped about 400 miles before that!

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Reid said:
Thanks Jerry. That's what I was looking for. I did try searching yesterday for info, but was too specific in my search query apparently. I'm beginning to think FD failure is a possibility now. What threw me was the fact that I experienced this "phenomenon" on the first ride after replacing the rear tire. The vibration was like that of a low tire. Then it went away. I haven't noticed any oil under the FD, but sure will be keeping an eye out for it. Still have a year of extended warranty, so better ride it hard and see if it'll fail.
If it was perfect before the tyre change and FD failed after..................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I wonder if tightening wheel bolts on replacing Rear with engine in gear may put extra sideways pressure on the wrong part.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
c00k1e said:
If it was perfect before the tyre change and FD failed after..................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I wonder if tightening wheel bolts on replacing Rear with engine in gear may put extra sideways pressure on the wrong part.
Cookie.. ya gotta lighten up on the sauce!!!! =)

Nah.. you didn't break it...

I think there is an interesting path to be considered that the high rear tire pressures may transfer too much vibration and impact loads rather than absorbing/dampening it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts