BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Randy and El Jeffe have been kind enough to post a document for me in the Articles section detailing with pics an '05 engine/tranny/final drive oil change. Link: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=4

The article has my usual typos (like intending to say the crank*shaft* lies well above the sump, but actually typing that the crank*case* lies above the sump! (i.e., above itself -duh!)).

Anyway, happy to take Qs, as well as suggestions for corrections/additions/alternative approaches. As soon as I figure out how to edit the article, I'll post the fixes.

Happy wrenching! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Outstanding

Mark,

That was outstanding! I was wondering how I was going to learn the nuances of oil changes in my new '05 only to find that you took the time and trouble to do an outstanding article on it (with great pics).

Thanks,
Steve Gray
Canton, MI

·
Registered
22 Posts
Excellent post! One question though....... do you know what the tightening torque specifications are for the two bolts and two nuts holding the centre stand skid plate?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
'05 oil change 101

Thanks for going to the time & trouble to help those of us in need of the know how/how to for the '05.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ahector said:
Excellent post! One question though....... do you know what the tightening torque specifications are for the two bolts and two nuts holding the centre stand skid plate?
I don't have the '05 Repair Manual yet, so I don't know. I do know that the two rear nuts are nyloks, so torque isn't critical -- just run these down enough to draw the skidplate up to the frame, and they will self-lock with the nylon insert. The two Allen bolts at the front likewise are not critical, and basically only need enough torque to draw the plate up and then resist backing out -- so, no more than "snug" needed -- 10 Nm??

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Excellent Work!

Mark, this is really a great idea for anyone who has not yet conquered their first oil change ritual on the Bike. Even for the 99-04 Bikes, the info is just as applicable if you subtract the additional skid plate and Hyd center stand! The pictures really complement the text and the whole thing flows well (no pun intended!).

Tks for all you contribute to our site here!

John

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is one fine piece of work Mark. The photographs AND their placement in the narrative are extremely informative. Thanks

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Great job explaining the process Mark. Many will find this to be very helpful.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Excellent job! Thank you very much for taking your time to do this and post it. I will give it a try on my next change. Thanx.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts