BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this DOT approved Bluetooth helmet advertised on COSTCO's On-Line advertisement. Don't know anything about it but thought it might be interesting to someone looking for an inexpensive system to try out. You can cut and paste the URL, below, for picture and details.

< Previous Product | Next Product >

V-Can Modular Helmet with Built-in Blinc Bluetooth System

DOT Approved

$189.99
Shipping & Handling included *
Medium - $189.99 Large - $189.99 X-Large - $189.99
Qty:

The V210 Modular Bluetooth Helmet allows the rider to talk to

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11484112&search=TreasureHunt0619&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Mo=67&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&Sp=S&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&N=5000043&whse=BC&ViewAll=68&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=TreasureHunt0619&Ntt=TreasureHunt0619&cm_mmc=BCEmail_422-_-FEATURE-_-3-_-TreasureHunt&No=35&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Hi, Lynn - thanks for posting this. Someone posted it earlier, about a week ago, and I couldn't seem to find that post. My friend Monte is interested, so he signed up with CostCo and is gonna check it out. Now that you've posted the link, I'm thinking of doing the same. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dick said:
Hi, Lynn - thanks for posting this. Someone posted it earlier, about a week ago, and I couldn't seem to find that post. My friend Monte is interested, so he signed up with CostCo and is gonna check it out. Now that you've posted the link, I'm thinking of doing the same. Thanks.
Hey Dick, Your welcome for sure. Just be sure to let us know what you think of the product.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Unless I can try it on before hand, I'm not will to spend money on it or join Costco just for the opportunity. Now to see if I can find one on the open market.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Steve_R said:
Unless I can try it on before hand, I'm not will to spend money on it or join Costco just for the opportunity. Now to see if I can find one on the open market.
Your usual type reply which adds nothing. Of course you may not know that they accept returns and give refunds. A lot easier than hunting for a dealer which may be miles away. :)

Monte
Kerrville

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Good morning Monte. :wave Glad to see you're still here to harass me about my thoughts on buying sight unseen. :D

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
garry_kramer said:
I did a Google search on them

Click here: http://www.vcansports.com/v210-flipup.html

Different colours than black

Garry
That is just the V210 modular helmet. You need to check Blinc Designs for all the graphics helmets. Too bad all the helmet designs are based on black except for the single pink unit. After riding home from Tampa this weekend end in 100+ temps, I'm going to rethink ever owning a black helmet again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I received mine today. It certainly looks good and it comes with a built in mic and earpieces and a bag. I have yet to try it on and see if it works as avertised. I expect to do it on Thursday. If i am not happy, I can return it to my local Costco, of which I am a member anyway...
I will post review...

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
larrykay said:
I received mine today. It certainly looks good and it comes with a built in mic and earpieces and a bag. I have yet to try it on and see if it works as avertised. I expect to do it on Thursday. If i am not happy, I can return it to my local Costco, of which I am a member anyway...
I will post review...
OK Larry. So, have you had a chance to do some testing with your new helmet yet? Inquiring minds want to know!:confused:

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I received mine Thursday of last week. Took a little time to aqquaint myself with all the features as the directions are not the best. However, I got all to work properly and paired my cell phone with the unit. Worked flawlessly. Ventilation is good and the sun shade works well. The helmet is not as quiet as I had hoped, but is no different than the Shoei Multitech I have been using. Saturday I tried to get Dick's I-Phone to pair up, but neither of us could get-r-done. Could not find a `15 year old computer guru to help us, but I am sure iit will with proper installation programming. All in all I am happy with the helmet and at the $190.00 price, It is a keeper.

Monte
Kerrville, TX

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Excellent Monte. Glad you like it.

One question for you though, how does it fit compared to the MultiTech?

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Steve_R said:
Excellent Monte. Glad you like it.

One question for you though, how does it fit compared to the MultiTech?
I wear an XL MultiTech and ordered the XL V-Can so fitment is the same.

And Steve, no comments are needed on the XL size!! :)

Monte
Kerrville, TX

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info Monte. I've been looking for something to wear while on the GS that will give me GPS audio and possibly phone. Sounds like this might be something to try. Guess I'll order one and give it a try. That'll leave the SCHUBERTH with the wired headset for exclusive use on the LT. Just wish they had something other than black!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
None gonna be made. I've already made you mad once in this thread. :D

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re:UPDATE- Inexpensive Bluetooth Modular Helmet

So I ordered a V-CAN SPORT with BlueTooth from COSTCO and it arrived today. Other than the fact that it's only available in black, it's a nice looking helmet, fairly light, polycarbonate outer shell, removable inner liner so it can be washed and a built in movable sun shade that seems to work smoothly. I ordered an XL and it fits about the same as my SCHUBERTH and old HJC, both XL. Haven't had a chance to try it on the GS yet so can't comment on noise or other concerns. Overall I'd say the workmanship and material quality is about the same as my old HJC and I'd say that's fair to good.

The helmet comes with a single speaker installed on the left side and a microphone in the chin bar. The cell phone style battery fits in a compartment at the rear of the helmet and is accessable from the bottom edge by pulling back the liner. The helmet also comes with a 5v charger that plugs into a port in the battery compartment.

The Blue tooth device seems to work very well with my Moto RAZOR cell phone. Pairing the phone to the helmet is simple and straight forward. It worked well with voice activated dialing and the audio was crisp and clear on both transmit and receive. However remember this was kind of a simple static test conducted all in the house. Should get to try it on the road on the GS in the next couple of days.

All is not perfect however! My hope in purchasing this helmet was to enable me to get voice prompts from my SP2820 via the blue tooth link. Unfortunatly I haven't been able to get this to work. I can successfully pair the 2820 and the helmet however neither the routing voice prompts nor the output from the 2820 (MP3)audio player can be heard in the helmet. Also, if I pair both the 2820 and the phone to the helmet I can neither transmit nor receive on the phone although it indicates that it is connected. I tried a few other combinations like pairing both the phone and the helmet to the 2820 and again the phone was nonfunctional although my address book did successfully load on the 2820.
So, any of you computer/electronics wizards out ther have any suggestions on what I can try to get this thing to work. The advertising says it's supposed to be able to work with phone, GPS, and MP3 audio. It's supposed to give the phone priority disconnecting the other inputs when a call is received and then reconnecting the other sources when the call is terminated. Any suggestions will be appreciated

·
Registered
874 Posts
Re: UPDATE- Inexpensive Bluetooth Modular Helmet

Lynn_Keen said:
So I ordered a V-CAN SPORT with BlueTooth from COSTCO and it arrived today. Other than the fact that it's only available in black, it's a nice looking helmet, fairly light, polycarbonate outer shell, removable inner liner so it can be washed and a built in movable sun shade that seems to work smoothly. I ordered an XL and it fits about the same as my SCHUBERTH and old HJC, both XL. Haven't had a chance to try it on the GS yet so can't comment on noise or other concerns. Overall I'd say the workmanship and material quality is about the same as my old HJC and I'd say that's fair to good.

The helmet comes with a single speaker installed on the left side and a microphone in the chin bar. The cell phone style battery fits in a compartment at the rear of the helmet and is accessable from the bottom edge by pulling back the liner. The helmet also comes with a 5v charger that plugs into a port in the battery compartment.

The Blue tooth device seems to work very well with my Moto RAZOR cell phone. Pairing the phone to the helmet is simple and straight forward. It worked well with voice activated dialing and the audio was crisp and clear on both transmit and receive. However remember this was kind of a simple static test conducted all in the house. Should get to try it on the road on the GS in the next couple of days.

All is not perfect however! My hope in purchasing this helmet was to enable me to get voice prompts from my SP2820 via the blue tooth link. Unfortunatly I haven't been able to get this to work. I can successfully pair the 2820 and the helmet however neither the routing voice prompts nor the output from the 2820 (MP3)audio player can be heard in the helmet. Also, if I pair both the 2820 and the phone to the helmet I can neither transmit nor receive on the phone although it indicates that it is connected. I tried a few other combinations like pairing both the phone and the helmet to the 2820 and again the phone was nonfunctional although my address book did successfully load on the 2820.
So, any of you computer/electronics wizards out ther have any suggestions on what I can try to get this thing to work. The advertising says it's supposed to be able to work with phone, GPS, and MP3 audio. It's supposed to give the phone priority disconnecting the other inputs when a call is received and then reconnecting the other sources when the call is terminated. Any suggestions will be appreciated
I tried Monte's on a couple weeks ago at *$$, liked it for the price, orderd two of them. Mine works fine, wife's battery will not accept a charge so guess it will go back. I paired mine with my LG phone, no problem. But then tried the Zumo. It indicates it is paired, shows up in the zumo as 'Bluehelmet.' But no MP3 music. Not sure about spoken directions yet as I haven't had the zumo on the bike with the helmet yet. Sounds like there is a problem of some kind since I'm seeing some of the same symptoms with the Zumo that you are with the 2820. Awaiting a 12 year old's assistance......

Oh, btw, no directions with the helmet for changing visor. So I carefully pried the covers off and found a simple but weird and chinzy mechanism under there. But actually will be easier to change visors than my CL Max (if we can find a source for visors!)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been in touch with GARMIN Tech Support via email concerning my problem with getting audible turn direction and MP3 between my 2820 and the helmet. As usual they were very responsive, got feed back in less than a day. They had me down load software and firmware up dates for my 2820 but that was no help. I also emailed V-CAN Tech Support 4 days ago but still haven't receive a reply! So much for their "SUPPORT"! :(

Anyway, I remembered that I had an old Motorola HF280 hands free speaker phone and so I charged it up and paired it and my Razor cell phone with my 2820. With that combination all features work as advertised. I could originate cell phone calls using the address book on the 2820 and receive and transmit voice over the HF820. I then selected an existing route on the 2820 and was able to hear the voice prompts for turning on the HF820. Then tried the 2820 MP3 player and although, as you would expect, the sound quality was lousy I could hear the music on the HF820. Therefore, my conclusion is that the problem is with the V-CAN. So much for a bargain Bluetooth equipped helmet. Mine is going back to COSTCO this afternoon, hopefully for a full refund! Now it's back to the drawing board. I'm leaving Tue for the Johnson City MOA Rally so hopefully I'll be able to find something there that actually works.

Cheers

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Mornin' Lynn -

I didn't look at the vendor list for the MOA rally, butt if anyone is there peddling the Cardo Scala units, as well as the Parrot SK4000, take a look at each of those. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Parrot unit, based on results Doug Turner is getting with his. Prolly not 100% (dang, sure should be in these days and ages!!), butt my main concern is bike-to-bike and cell phone auto-answer and voice-dial. Good luck in your shopping!! And have a great time at the rally.

Lynn_Keen said:
I've been in touch with GARMIN Tech Support via email concerning my problem with getting audible turn direction and MP3 between my 2820 and the helmet. As usual they were very responsive, got feed back in less than a day. They had me down load software and firmware up dates for my 2820 but that was no help. I also emailed V-CAN Tech Support 4 days ago but still haven't receive a reply! So much for their "SUPPORT"! :(

Anyway, I remembered that I had an old Motorola HF280 hands free speaker phone and so I charged it up and paired it and my Razor cell phone with my 2820. With that combination all features work as advertised. I could originate cell phone calls using the address book on the 2820 and receive and transmit voice over the HF820. I then selected an existing route on the 2820 and was able to hear the voice prompts for turning on the HF820. Then tried the 2820 MP3 player and although, as you would expect, the sound quality was lousy I could hear the music on the HF820. Therefore, my conclusion is that the problem is with the V-CAN. So much for a bargain Bluetooth equipped helmet. Mine is going back to COSTCO this afternoon, hopefully for a full refund! Now it's back to the drawing board. I'm leaving Tue for the Johnson City MOA Rally so hopefully I'll be able to find something there that actually works.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank's for the suggestions Dick. I think that either of those units that you mention would certainly give me what I'm looking for. And that is; something for my GS which doesn't currently have any communication hardware. What I'm really looking for is something that will give me GPS audio prompts and maybe a few tunes, either through the 2820 MP3 or an external MP3 player, to help me down the road. The phone capability is only a novelty for me. RETIRED don't ya know! Anyway, I need a new helmet for the GS and that's why I was interested in the V-CAN. It would have killed two birds, well you know. To bad it didn't work out. The Parrot looks pretty nice but I'm wondering how any of these units work out with Modular helmets? Looks like the microphone could be a little challanging to get it installed just right for best voice activation and clarity.

Dick said:
Mornin' Lynn -

I didn't look at the vendor list for the MOA rally, butt if anyone is there peddling the Cardo Scala units, as well as the Parrot SK4000, take a look at each of those. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Parrot unit, based on results Doug Turner is getting with his. Prolly not 100% (dang, sure should be in these days and ages!!), butt my main concern is bike-to-bike and cell phone auto-answer and voice-dial. Good luck in your shopping!! And have a great time at the rally.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts