BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arriving at work this morning, I found the rear brake on my 2000 K1200LT to be almost totally ineffective. The front brake worked fine. The ABS lights worked normally. I read some discussion about failed brake lines and suspect that may be the problem.

What should I look for? What are the possible problems that would cause this situation? Is the front brake system separate from the rear so I can limp on?

Your assistance is appreciated,

John

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
johedrick said:
Arriving at work this morning, I found the rear brake on my 2000 K1200LT to be almost totally ineffective. The front brake worked fine. The ABS lights worked normally. I read some discussion about failed brake lines and suspect that may be the problem.

What should I look for? What are the possible problems that would cause this situation? Is the front brake system separate from the rear so I can limp on?

Your assistance is appreciated,

John
Hi, John - long time no read!! ;) You're good to go, regarding having the front brake working - just be aware to keep the front wheel straight ahead when approaching full-stop.

Several possibilities for the rear brake dysfunction. Work on all the suggestions you'll receive from the community here, and good luck. And let us know the outcome, too. Take care.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Dick. Good to hear from you and I appreicate your help. I arrived a bit late so I didn't have time to check things closely, but I will and follow the great advice.

I have not been on the list in a while. I've been busy with work and honeydos. I try harder to stay in touch.

John

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
My 2001 LT is doing the same thing. Our brakes on the Older LT are not linked. If your fluid level is OK and there are no leaks I would suspect the rear master cylinder.
Can you pump up the rear brake? IF so does the pedal slowly go down? That is what mine is doing and it's the rear master cylinder.

BTW - You can limp on, I did for 1500 miles to get back from New Mexico last month - no problems.

·
Registered
313 Posts
When I bought my 00 in Feb 06 I took it for a test drive and found the rear brakes to be almost useless. Not as useless as the rear brake on a new Connie 14, but close. I drove it the 717 miles home and did a brake service then. The fluid in the rear brake line was somewhere between strong ice tea and coffee. I kept pouring in fresh and pumping it out the rear caliper until the fluid was once again clear. After that, a new set of pads (I chose KBC HH) and I was back in business.

Your brakes are not linked on the 00 as the others have said. As far as a bad brake hose? If you are getting pressure on the brake pedal your lines are probably not shot yet. If you are going all the way down or the pedal feels like you're stepping on a plumb then you might have a new set of Speigler's in order. Also, if you have a ruptured line, you should see the tell-tale signs of the leak in very short order.

As far as riding it home on the front brake only, I use the front brake probably 95% of the time anyway. I only use the rear when I'm heavily laden and need the extra boost, when I'm riding her hard and need to do a little trail braking or when I'm doing U turns.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
90 % of your stopping power is in the front brake and the rear is for gently controlling speed in a curve. Don't expect a lot out of it.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
jzeiler said:
90 % of your stopping power is in the front brake and the rear is for gently controlling speed in a curve. Don't expect a lot out of it.
...... And you wont be disappointed! Kinda like most things in life!

Low expectations with moderate to superior performance equals satisfaction to elation.

Loren

·
Registered
227 Posts
I heard that 70% was the stopping power of the front brake. At any rate, I use the front almost exclusively too. Perhaps a fluid change in the rear circuit will correct the problem, if its not leaking and the master cylinder is good. :bmw:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Troubleshoot the rear brake and get it fixed. 100% of stopping power comes from using the front AND rear brakes when you must execute a quick stop; 70-90% is not adequate in that situation.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
313 Posts
wacolt said:
Troubleshoot the rear brake and get it fixed. 100% of stopping power comes from using the front AND rear brakes when you must execute a quick stop; 70-90% is not adequate in that situation.

Just my .02.

Well said my friend. I should have been more clear in my post about using only the front brake 90% of the time. I should have said that under "normal" conditions I use the front brake only 90% of the time. You are correct that when in a hard/emergency braking situation it is imperative that both brakes must be used to their fullest (let the ABS do it's job) and both brakes MUST be working properly as well. Thanks for not letting us lead someone astray.

Happy riding

1 - 12 of 12 Posts