BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '02 K1200LT and broke the front brake master cylinder on the right handlebar. Stupid mistake, it fell against the inside wall of my trailer and cracked the housing around the banjo screw. :mad: Two questions....

1) Where can I find a used master cylinder for my front brake?

2) Does anyone know an independent BMW mechanic in the Chicago area that can do the repair? The dealer is telling me $1,000...over $600 of labor to spend 5 hours bleeding the brake system! :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Larry Johnson
Cell 630-935-1101

·
Registered
832 Posts
You can try Motoworks.......1901 S. Western Ave. in Chicago. 312.738.4269
They work on BMW's

·
Registered
244 Posts
LWJohnson1 said:
I have an '02 K1200LT and broke the front brake master cylinder on the right handlebar. Stupid mistake, it fell against the inside wall of my trailer and cracked the housing around the banjo screw. :mad: Two questions....

1) Where can I find a used master cylinder for my front brake?

2) Does anyone know an independent BMW mechanic in the Chicago area that can do the repair? The dealer is telling me $1,000...over $600 of labor to spend 5 hours bleeding the brake system! :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Larry Johnson
Cell 630-935-1101[/QUOTE

Well if you get the parts from ebay or ltparts.com or similar.. and you can get the bike down my way.. I would be happy to help you get your baby well.. We have a few guys down here that all work on their own bikes and if you are a bit handy we can save you lots of money by teaching you the basics !! .. Understand the distance, but Lafayette is not too bad.. Perhaps a Chicagoland area guy could have a similar offer ??

·
Registered
509 Posts
There's one for sale on eBay for about $100.

I can help you install it, if interested. I work cheap...for beer...although I do favor the good stuff (Belgian). I'm in Valparaiso, IN...so about 2 hours (95 miles) from you.
If interested, PM me.

Would need to bring a bottle (or two to be safe) of brake fluid (DOT 4).
Figure on a couple of hours. Worse part will be disconnecting/reconnecting your heated grip, to allow for sliding the new assembly onto the handlebars.

The only word of caution I might have is....while I've changed out my brake fluid before (on two occasions), I've never had to bleed air out of the system. I've heard from some others that if you get air in the ABS unit, it can only be bled out by using the Motronic (magic black box) at the BMW dealer. I personally think that this is hogwash and/or an old wivestale, but just thought I'd mention it. Perhaps a bit of research is in order?
Cheers, Toolman

·
Registered
393 Posts
Guessing the name Motor Works Of Chicago. The address !901 Western Ave.
# 1-312-738=4269. Steve Best tech in Chicago area.

DON

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Does anyone know if a special tool or devise is needed to bleed air from the servo unit? A friend and I are going to try to change out an ABS unit on a GS here in the near future, plus we are talking about changing brake lines on our LT's, which I assume will require draining the entire unit and rebleeding them. My LT is a 2000, so I don't have a Servo issue, but his is a 2005.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I can vouch as well for Kurt's Motorwerks in Niles, MI. Kurt's been working on my bike for years and has always done quality work for me. He's busy...so you may need to make an appointment and be prepared to have him work you into his schedule...but his work is top rate!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts