BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, here’s my problem and proposition:

My pinion shaft seal is leaking on my paralever rear end. I need to dismantle it to install a new seal. I was thinking that while I have things dismantled I might as well replace the 19 ball Crown Bearing with a 17 ball one, (I’m at 43,000 mi). Chicago BMW cost for the bearing is $105. To properly shim the bearing I need the measuring ring BMW part # 33 2 601. I checked with Chicago BMW and they can get it for me for $164.

That’s not a really high price, however for a tool that I’ll probably only use once it seems a little steep.:(

Here’s my “Indecent Proposal” :

1) I purchase and use the tool to fix my final drive.

2) I offer it to someone on this forum for full price with no shipping cost. (my net cost = the cost of shipping both ways)

3) That someone offers it to someone else on this forum for full price minus the cost of shipping . (their net cost = the cost of shipping both ways.)

4) The next person uses it and offers it for the price that they paid for it minus the cost of shipping . (their net cost = the cost of shipping both ways.)

5) repeat #4

6) repeat #4

I would guess that the cost of shipping this tool (Always to the lower 48 states) would be about $5 one way. :) With that in mind it would cost everyone who takes advantage of this idea about $10 to use the tool.:) Another advantage to this would be that the cost would eventually become $0.00 after about 16 or 17 users take advantage of this idea. At that time the owner could just sell it for the cost of shipping. Since each person participating in this proposition would own the tool for a while, they could use it at their leisure, while knowing that the sooner they do, the sooner they recoup part of their money.

SOOO now with all this in mind I would like to know if there would be enough interest in this idea for it to fly? :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
Or another idea is we start a specialty tool collection for all to use. Get 10 members to pitch in for the purchase and it suddenly is less expensive yet. Say maybe Jeff or Randy or some other member could 'house' these common tools. Then the member who needs it will pay shipping both ways.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts