BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I don't have an LT yet, this is premature, but, I'm lloking at gently used ones. Ive been looking at' and newer 05 mainly for the power increase and front end geometry. could care less about the centerstand(actually, dislike it - extra weight - prone to breakdown). Recently seen some nice, low mileage '02-04 that are really reasonably priced. Question: how easy is it to bump up the hp a few ? front end geometry, big problem or not ? i really find it hard to believe BMW would put out a bike with sh*tty geometry ??? Thanks all, Al

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I won't attempt to speak for others but IIRC the general thought regarding the bike geometry is that that the pre-'05's MIGHT be more stable in a hands off the handlebar situation. I have never had my '01 get front end wobble which could lead to a tank slapper situation either hands on or hands off. I'm sure your intentions are not to ride hands off but if the older models don't have the propensity to wobble this might indicate better inherent stability which could be a good thing.

The '05's and later are supposed to handle better at slow parking lot speeds. This is likely to be true but both old and newer models can be a handful in a parking lot until you learn and faithfully execute the proper low speed handling techniques.

In the end the best thing to do is buy an LT and ride the snot out of it! They are a hoot!

Loren

alrom999 said:
Since I don't have an LT yet, this is premature, but, I'm lloking at gently used ones. Ive been looking at' and newer 05 mainly for the power increase and front end geometry. could care less about the centerstand(actually, dislike it - extra weight - prone to breakdown). Recently seen some nice, low mileage '02-04 that are really reasonably priced. Question: how easy is it to bump up the hp a few ? front end geometry, big problem or not ? i really find it hard to believe BMW would put out a bike with sh*tty geometry ??? Thanks all, Al

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think an exhaust and chip go a long way to making the power...but, I have a 2000 model and have had a lot of bikes and this one suits me as far as power goes. I have to work the gears a little, but, that's part of the fun of riding. I do have a Remus performance exhaust..not sure what increase that represents, but the thing I appreciate most in the non-linked brakes and the fact that I don't have a whirring brake pump. From what others that have had pre 2005 and after, the difference in performance isn't significant.

·
Registered
552 Posts
For increase in power put in the new chip and Remus exhaust. My 2000 has it and I noticed the increase in power. As for the geometry there is no fix for later models and I think both are a handful at slow speed if you don't pay attention.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Al,

The power on any LT is enough to scare you. Once you get moving the LT rides like a much smaller bike. Slow parking lot speed on the LT is something you have to learn. Never use the front brake at parking lot speed while turning. A little practice will make slow speed handling easy.

I didn't make the show Sunday, the granddaughter side tracked my plans to take her to the movies.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have no complaints about my '99. I did go the RhineWest chip and Remus route and am satisfied with the power; more is not necessarily better. The handling has been excellent; it responds much like the Duc 748 and, in some ways, it better than the Duc. The ground clearance for cornering is great, save the side stand in left-hand corners.

Slow speed, tight turns takes practice. Drag the rear break in second gear, clutch fully released. Oh! And turn your head.

Ride safe,
Curt

Reactions: ProfSnape

·
Registered
478 Posts
i am sure exaust upgrades & chips will help.i have a stock 2002 the power is much better than i expected just dont expect too much from a dead stop (unless you like changing clutches)but from 10 mph to the 60 mph in first gear and all the way well past 120
it pull very well. i am also an ex ducati rider not quite a duck but the big girle will surprise you with her performance

·
Registered
438 Posts
It's my belief that it takes more fuel to produce more power in most cases.
Power increase = less MPG.
Our 2000 LT has plenty of power and gets a reliable 47 MPG in everyday use and will show as much as 50 on longer trips. Stock engine and exhaust. (this is especially true if you find somewhere to fill with sweet nectar).

Frontend geometry not a problem. She handles well in the curves. No wobbles with the Metzlers, and I don't really need to ride with my hands off the bars.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I've ridden several "chipped and piped" LTs. I was less than impressed and couldn't really feel any difference. The major limitation is the size of the injectors.

The extra db's from the pipe were obnoxious, and it makes you feel like there is more power - but this is kind of like putting baseball cards on the spokes of your bicycle when you were a kid and yelling Vrooom Vrooom!

The 05's and up definitely have more grunt, I think the revised cam profile was mostly responsible.

Regardless, the difference in power would be a minor consideration - I would be looking at dozens of other issues to decide which LT would be "best". Meticulous maintenance records backed up with receipts score big points with me - especially early on in the bike's life.

BTW, black LT's are the fastest. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
In reference to bar wobble, shortly after I got my 09, I conducted a little test on a flat straight piece of road. First I set the cruise and slwoly let go of the bars, she tracked straight and true. No wobble, very stable. Then I dropped the cruise, put her in neutral and again slowly let go. She immediately started to wobble, I obviously didn't let her go very long.
Speeds were about 35 mph. Don't know if anyone else has done this extensive of a test :D
or if this even means anything, but I agrre with previous posts, no reason to let go of the bars....

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,169 Posts
The cheapest way to add power to the LT is for the rider to loose weight.:D If you think about it, it is more doable to lose 50lbs than removing the same 50 lbs from the bike.
Less weight = better hp/lb ratio.
No matter what you will do to the bike it will never be the first one off the gate because of the extremely loooong first gear, and you don't want to feather the dry clutch more than you have to.
Still a great bike, and the power is adequate. I have no problem keeping up with the Sport Touring bikes while 2 up on our weekend trips.
In the twisties just keep the rpms up and the fat lady will dance for you. In hairpin turns you will need to be in 1st gear.
You can also pick a color that is faster, and there have been long debates about the subject on this forum. :p

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
My stock 00 has more HP than I need to have FUN. For me the problem is coming close to what the engine can do near red line in just 2nd or 3rd. By the time I'm up there I have accelerated way too fast for normal traffic conditions. Trying to use those high RPMs on the limited twisty roads around here puts me riding way past what I can safely see ahead in the road.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
63 Posts
alrom999 said:
Ive been looking at' and newer 05 mainly for the power increase
I sincerely don't understand the need for more power. For the last 20 years, I have been riding a Harley FXR with the stage one power package. That was more than enough power for my needs. When I recently bought the 1999 LT, I immediately realized I had a bike with considerably more power. I have yet to have it anywhere near the red line in any gear so I don't think I have yet, and may never, experience the full power potential of this bike.

The way I ride a bike, I cannot fathom putting more money into getting more power. Any additional money I might want to spend on the bike I would invest in comfort or safety.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
sittonb said:
In reference to bar wobble, shortly after I got my 09, I conducted a little test on a flat straight piece of road. First I set the cruise and slwoly let go of the bars, she tracked straight and true. No wobble, very stable. Then I dropped the cruise, put her in neutral and again slowly let go. She immediately started to wobble, I obviously didn't let her go very long.
Speeds were about 35 mph. Don't know if anyone else has done this extensive of a test :D
or if this even means anything, but I agrre with previous posts, no reason to let go of the bars....
You just need to spend less time in the arc of a left hand turn! ;)

Motorcycle Tire Wear

·
Registered
349 Posts
I sincerely don't understand the need for more power.
What's that old Harley saying? If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand.

You can't have too much power. It's fun. That said, the only way to make a noticeable increase in the power:weight ratio of the LT is with supercharging or turbocharging. In other words, $$$$$. A chip and exhaust may add 7HP, maybe 10 if you're lucky. So your ratio just went from 8.75:1 to 7.95:1. Whoopee.

·
Registered
478 Posts
i saw a turbo package installed that i think added 40 pluse horse power on the site here somewhere .but i seem to recall a cost around 7 to10 thousand dollars. it came with fuel rails ,injectors the hole nine yards

·
Registered
63 Posts
calvarez said:
You can't have too much power. It's fun.
It just seems unneeded to me and a waste of my money. Since the LT already has a top speed that is faster than I want to ride, I don't need more power for more top speed. That leaves acceleration. I already don't use all the power I have for acceleration. So spending money to help me theoretically accelerate faster is a moot point.

My main point is that any extra money I have that I want to spend on the bike would be better spent for me on comfort or safety. I just can't see what I would use the extra power for. I don't want to go faster or accelerate faster. I'm fine with the power on the bike.

Reactions: Buff8stuff

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I did a search and found only 2 posts about removing the catalytic converter. One goes clear back to '05, where WallyO asked if anyone had done it, or had any advise on it. He never got an answer.
I searched because I was thinking the same way. Would removing the CC increase flow? How much weight could one chop off the bike? Any problem with fuel mixture/computer issues?

·
Registered
349 Posts
My main point is that any extra money I have that I want to spend on the bike would be better spent for me on comfort or safety. I just can't see what I would use the extra power for. I don't want to go faster or accelerate faster. I'm fine with the power on the bike.
I'm guessing that's why you didn't start this thread, and the person that did has a different opinion. Just a thought. No need to crap on his preferences because they're not yours.

Personally I really miss the power of my CBR1100, but realized what I was getting when I bought the LT.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts