BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this problem?

When creating routes pre-Basecamp (in Mapsource), my Nuvi and Mapsource always agreed on a route's estimated elapsed time within a minute or two. However, Basecamp has always severely overestimated the time it takes to complete a route. For instance, for the route I just created ("driving" activity profile), I get...

Nuvi 500: 2 h, 19 min
Mapsourse: 2 h, 19 min
Basecamp: 3 h, 41 min

My settings are identical for all three sources: map, speed settings, avoidances, etc. All three show an identical route with only Basecamp giving an odd-ball completion time.

What gives? Basecamp is flat out wrong, every time, for every map I've ever used, for every route I've ever created. I'm using Basecamp's latest version, 4.2.5.

Frustrating. Solution?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Anyone else have this problem?

When creating routes pre-Basecamp (in Mapsource), my Nuvi and Mapsource always agreed on a route's estimated elapsed time within a minute or two. However, Basecamp has always severely overestimated the time it takes to complete a route. For instance, for the route I just created ("driving" activity profile), I get...

Nuvi 500: 2 h, 19 min
Mapsourse: 2 h, 19 min
Basecamp: 3 h, 41 min

My settings are identical for all three sources: map, speed settings, avoidances, etc. All three show an identical route with only Basecamp giving an odd-ball completion time.

What gives? Basecamp is flat out wrong, every time, for every map I've ever used, for every route I've ever created. I'm using Basecamp's latest version, 4.2.5.

Frustrating. Solution?

Thanks!!
No solution, a few thoughts that may trigger something.

You say "My (speed) settings are identical for all three sources...". Neither of my Zumos has any explicit speed settings. Maybe your Nuvi is different. BC has explicit settings on a per-profile basis for different type roads. Try setting all of them higher and see if the estimates improve. Set them to full max then full min and see what changes. If it doesn't change, then perhaps you're tweaking a different profile than your route is using.

I know the Zumos will "learn" your habits and adjust its estimates based on your historical averages on different roads. You can verify that by doing a master reset, thus removing user data, then watch its estimate of the same route change. Again, don't know about your Nuvi.

Back to BC...you ought to be able to "tune" its estimates by changing the average speed settings on different road types. I just played around with a test route and went from a 1 hr 39 min estimate down to 52 minutes by playing with those settings. If your other estimates are good ones, then it should be a simple matter to spend a few minutes with BC and come up with a set of speeds which match your historical data.

My experience with BC is pretty good in this regard. If yours is not, it has to be those settings. What are yours set to?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My Nuvi is like your Zumo, in that I doesn't have speed settings for diff types of roads to calc arrival times. But, Basecamp and Mapsource do and they're set identically, with Mapsource gives same results as the Nuvi.

I'll play around with manipulating the speeds in Basecamp to see if I can "trick" it into being more accurate. I can't help to think there's a setting I'm not finding that's out of whack, or a bug in the coding.

Edit: I played around with the speeds by road type. Man, I really have to crank up the speeds to an unrealistic level to get believable arrival times. Nobody else has this problem?

·
Registered
616 Posts
My Nuvi is like your Zumo, in that I doesn't have speed settings for diff types of roads to calc arrival times. But, Basecamp and Mapsource do and they're set identically, with Mapsource gives same results as the Nuvi.

I'll play around with manipulating the speeds in Basecamp to see if I can "trick" it into being more accurate. I can't help to think there's a setting I'm not finding that's out of whack, or a bug in the coding.

Edit: I played around with the speeds by road type. Man, I really have to crank up the speeds to an unrealistic level to get believable arrival times. Nobody else has this problem?
I just took a look at a little ride we did yesterday. The same route gives the following time estimates:
BC: 1:34
MS: 1:34
Google Maps: 1:30
Nav V: 1:20

Presumably the Nav V has learned my habits. :rolleyes:

Anyway, my BC and MS average speed settings are identical:
67, 58, 45, 35, 25

which are, I believe, the defaults.

I assume you are using the same map sets with all parties. And you have verified that you're using the same profiles. So I have no other clues as to what's going on.

Why don't you post a gpx file with one of your routes that have a wacky time? I'll import it into my BC and see what it says.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts