BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Looks like this is the year of bad in-tank hose failure. I tried taking the bike out of hibernation this morning and I could here the cavitation. Sure enough, it's gurgling pretty good. So now I have another project. :(
I am first to admit, I am not the best records keeper. A few years back, I did replace my fuel filter. However, I cannot recall for sure if I replaced the hose that I suspect has failed. If I did in fact replace the hose, with the proper submersion type hose, how long should it last? We hear frequently how potent the corn squeezin's fuel we are stuck with nowadays is potent to fuel lines. Just curious, I haven't started the repair process yet.

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
I am first to admit, I am not the best records keeper. A few years back, I did replace my fuel filter. However, I cannot recall for sure if I replaced the hose that I suspect has failed. If I did in fact replace the hose, with the proper submersion type hose, how long should it last? We hear frequently how potent the corn squeezin's fuel we are stuck with nowadays is potent to fuel lines. Just curious, I haven't started the repair process yet.
I suspect it depends on the hose. My OEM u-hose lasted almost exactly 7 years. Mine burst the morning after we returned from a ride to Newfoundland in 2014 just a week or so shy of 7 years after I bought the LT new in June of 2007. I replaced it with an OEM hose which still looked to be in good shape when I removed it last spring in preparation for my trip to Alaska. The second hose was a little less than 5 years old at that time. It looked to be in good shape, but then the failed hose looked in good shape except for where it split open! The rubber was still pliable an was not cracked other than the one split that caused the leak and pressure loss. I just didn’t trust a 5 year old rubber hose on a ride as remote as the Alaska highway so I replaced it with the nylon hose. I am carrying the old u-hose as a spare just in case! :grin:

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I am carrying the old u-hose as a spare just in case! :grin:
I still have the rubber hoses I removed in favor of the nylon and they have become hard as rock no longer being immersed in fuel. Since it only took one of the two provided nylon tubes to do the job, I carry the spare nylon one which I cut off one side for the straight portion thinking I needed both tubes to do the job. Still enough to do a full replacement again.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,924 Posts
I changed mine out preemptively after 11 years and 91,000 miles and it still looked good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just put a hose from NAPA cut it longer and put an easy bend in it . It sat for 5 yrs. then I pulled the pump to drain old gas and clean the tank the hose looked good, no cracks, not hard or stiff so ran it all last year through this winter no problems so far.

·
Registered
345 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
UPDATE....Things went downhill rather quickly when I started to prepare for the arrival of the corrugated tubing kit from BBY. I was trying to remove the rubber hose from the pump when I snapped the flange off the pump. I ordered a new pump from EuroMoto Electrics as someone mentioned earlier in this thread. I now have all the new parts...new pump, corrugated tubing, clamps, pump intake filter, NAPA Gold fuel filter and finally a little time to work on reassembly. Now the next hurdle...how in the world does one ever get the nylon tubing on to the appropriate nipples? I am at a loss .... again.

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
UPDATE....Things went downhill rather quickly when I started to prepare for the arrival of the corrugated tubing kit from BBY. I was trying to remove the rubber hose from the pump when I snapped the flange off the pump. I ordered a new pump from EuroMoto Electrics as someone mentioned earlier in this thread. I now have all the new parts...new pump, corrugated tubing, clamps, pump intake filter, NAPA Gold fuel filter and finally a little time to work on reassembly. Now the next hurdle...how in the world does one ever get the nylon tubing on to the appropriate nipples? I am at a loss .... again.
I don’t recall mine being a big issue, but I’d try a hair dryer or judicious use of a heat gun to soften the nylon a little.

Reactions: 61774Rob

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Yes maybe warm them up a little but not to hot. I used to work in a test lab where we had to do stuff like this many times. As long as the tube was new, I'd just chew on it for a a little, soften it up, warm it up and it would slip on the glass fitting. :surprise:

Reactions: 61774Rob

·
Registered
345 Posts
My apologies to all for my tardiness with this reply of which I promised back on May 8th. Life gets in the way and so my brake line replacement has taken me an age, then the need to make a bleed funnel and then family issues ensued until I was able to complete the bleeding this weekend. Before I put the tank back on I removed the pump and filter assembly to show you all how the UAP-NAPA submersible fuel hose has weathered. So here are the pics. This hose has now been i fuel for over three years and still is in great shape. No softening of the rubber or losing its shape. Hopefully this will encourage others to use the NAPA hose with confidence. The filter is a NAPA product also and have no problems to date.
On a side note I was amazed their was still good pressure in the lines in the bike when I hooked them back on Saturday obviously a good sealed system BMW has engineered.
46B6AA0B-7ADA-4B6C-A3FD-71B89D3F4D3C.jpeg
93594A8E-C2E1-4BC5-A449-9D78203E20C5.jpeg
1940A018-AC6B-4E2D-94AD-5D025B69B955.jpeg

Reactions: Voyager

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,924 Posts
That is pretty good, did you put a spring inside to keep it from kinking?

·
Registered
345 Posts
That is pretty good, did you put a spring inside to keep it from kinking?
No nothing at all. That’s just the way she is. Very happy with it. It does have a little larger bend than the original but not enough to cause any problems.

Reactions: DRONE
21 - 32 of 32 Posts