BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reviving my gummed up fuel pump I inspected the fuel hoses and the in tank hoses were shot. BMW wants $55 for the U shaped hose and if you can find it SAE30R10 hose is about $15 a foot and might kink if you bend it in a U.
A place I deal with for automotive high performance fuel systems (Racetronix) sells a 4" black PTFE corrugated "hose" for in tank use for about $3.50. Next time you need that hose, give them a try

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
After reviving my gummed up fuel pump I inspected the fuel hoses and the in tank hoses were shot. BMW wants $55 for the U shaped hose and if you can find it SAE30R10 hose is about $15 a foot and might kink if you bend it in a U.
I place I deal with for automotive high performance fuel systems (Racetronix) sells a 4" black PTFE corrugated "hose" for in tank use for about $3.50. Next time you need that hose, give them a try
I'm in the process of pulling the fuel tank and installing a Stainless U fitting with barbed ends. No more fear of split u hose.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Umm Of course they are rated for immersion...this is the same type of hose used in the all in one pump/sender/ filter units newer cars employ

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
A place I deal with for automotive high performance fuel systems (Racetronix) sells a 4" black PTFE corrugated "hose" for in tank use for about $3.50. Next time you need that hose, give them a try
Looks like they have a good range of offerings at good prices, though I didn’t check shipping cost. The later often trumps on small items. I did not see where this said it was PTFE, it just said “high tech plastic.” Most fuel hose I have seen is nylon, but either material has very good gas and alcohol tolerance. It is good to have additional sources, but I still have a spare hose from either BBY or EME and I don’t expect to ever need another.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like they have a good range of offerings at good prices, though I didn’t check shipping cost. The later often trumps on small items. I did not see where this said it was PTFE, it just said “high tech plastic.” Most fuel hose I have seen is nylon, but either material has very good gas and alcohol tolerance. It is good to have additional sources, but I still have a spare hose from either BBY or EME and I don’t expect to ever need another.
Not absolutely sure it is PTFE, most places list that type of hose as PTFE. Shipping will be a problem, they have a $25 minimum order policy, then shipping is about $12. The best price I found for SAE30R10 hose was $15 a foot plus shipping. I ordered 3 of those hoses, a sock and some clamps to get the $25 minimum. If enough people want those hoses one could just do a bulk purchase and then send them out individually for the price of a stamp.
These hoses are rated to about 100PSI and won't degrade from fuel, no matter what kind of fuel you use

·
Registered
348 Posts
I replaced mine over two years ago with hose purchased from UAP NAPA it was described as for fuel immersion. Had no problems so far but bike has say for two years gas in it and started every time no issues. Last time was yesterday morning when I moved her to start brake lines and rear rotor replacement. I’ll take it out now the tanks drained off and sitting on the garage floor and get back to you all with pics. I would love to hear from anyone that can offer up a permanent fix whilst she’s all apart. Some people I hear have brought the filter to the outside of the tank leaving only the pump in their. Would that not be a better option???

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
I replaced mine over two years ago with hose purchased from UAP NAPA it was described as for fuel immersion. Had no problems so far but bike has say for two years gas in it and started every time no issues. Last time was yesterday morning when I moved her to start brake lines and rear rotor replacement. I’ll take it out now the tanks drained off and sitting on the garage floor and get back to you all with pics. I would love to hear from anyone that can offer up a permanent fix whilst she’s all apart. Some people I hear have brought the filter to the outside of the tank leaving only the pump in their. Would that not be a better option???
I replaced my OEM internal hoses with the corrugated nylon hose as sold by BBY and I think EME and probably others. I consider that a permanent solution. I think the fuel filter is just fine inside the tank. Putting it outside is just adding more connections to leak and be a fire hazard and it takes up space that is already tight on an LT. I see no real benefit to putting it externally given that you don’t really need to change it all that often unless you have really crappy gas. I am going 48K on mine with no issues. Since you have to remove the tank to change the air filter anyway, changing the fuel filter at that time isn’t a big deal, and you can do it without changing the tank if necessary.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yeah I guess now that you mention it there is enough going on with these bikes that space is a premium and the extra joints in the fuel line would be like a fuse waiting to be lit. I’ll still remove the unit and see how the UAP NAPA hose is holding out. You mentioned BBY or EME are those outlets in the USA

·
Registered
694 Posts
Looks like this is the year of bad in-tank hose failure. I tried taking the bike out of hibernation this morning and I could here the cavitation. Sure enough, it's gurgling pretty good. So now I have another project. :(

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Yeah I guess now that you mention it there is enough going on with these bikes that space is a premium and the extra joints in the fuel line would be like a fuse waiting to be lit. I’ll still remove the unit and see how the UAP NAPA hose is holding out. You mentioned BBY or EME are those outlets in the USA
Yes, I think both are USA based, but I suspect similar parts are available elsewhere as the corrugated nylon lines come as OEM on Ducatis and KTMs I believe.

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
I’ll take a pic here over the weekend and post it of the Napa hose that’s been in the tank now for over two years. The bikes stripped down tank is off and empty so it’s no big deal

·
Registered
348 Posts
I wonder if BBY stands for Beemer Bone Yard ??? EME has got me baffled 🤯

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Munmi - fortunately, you can pull the pump assembly with the bike on the side stand without a full undressing. Might as well change that filter too.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Looks like this is the year of bad in-tank hose failure. I tried taking the bike out of hibernation this morning and I could here the cavitation. Sure enough, it's gurgling pretty good. So now I have another project. :(

I had the symptoms last year and fixed it this year. I used the flexible hoses with my kit from Beemer bone yard, and they worked great.

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
I’ll take a pic here over the weekend and post it of the Napa hose that’s been in the tank now for over two years. The bikes stripped down tank is off and empty so it’s no big deal
The NAPA hose is certainly appropriately rated for the application and may last a long, long time, but I would be worried about the bend radius as the hose ages. Most straight fuel line is not meant to be bent in as tight a radius as is required in the fuel tank. I can’t find a spec for the NAPA fuel hose, but I found specs for a couple other brands and they varied from 2 - 2.5” bend radius for 5/16” hose which is what I was thinking the LT uses (not sure on that). That is a bend diameter of 4-5” which means the 180 u-hose would need 4-5” between the legs and I think the stock hose is closer to 2“ or even less across the legs. I am not sure there is room in the tank to make a 4-5” wide loop for the u-hose. Even the corrugated nylon hose wanted to be in a larger radius than the stock u-hose, but it wasn’t enough to cause clearance issues and I have no concern about the bend shortening the life of a hose of this material and construction.

These two photos show the difference in radius between OEM and corrugated nylon.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
The NAPA hose is certainly appropriately rated for the application and may last a long, long time, but I would be worried about the bend radius as the hose ages. Most straight fuel line is not meant to be bent in as tight a radius as is required in the fuel tank. I can’t find a spec for the NAPA fuel hose, but I found specs for a couple other brands and they varied from 2 - 2.5” bend radius for 5/16” hose which is what I was thinking the LT uses (not sure on that). That is a bend diameter of 4-5” which means the 180 u-hose would need 4-5” between the legs and I think the stock hose is closer to 2“ or even less across the legs. I am not sure there is room in the tank to make a 4-5” wide loop for the u-hose. Even the corrugated nylon hose wanted to be in a larger radius than the stock u-hose, but it wasn’t enough to cause clearance issues and I have no concern about the bend shortening the life of a hose of this material and construction.

These two photos show the difference in radius between OEM and corrugated nylon.
Matt, I took some pictures and there is a little extra room for a larger loop inside the tank. Here are some pics I took when I first did my nylon hoses. My loop is bigger than necessary and I have since redone the loop by cutting off the excess straight parts and making the entire thing more compact but these pics are for about the largest loop you can make without cutting off any of the straight parts. It is hard to see looking through the sensor hole but you can see the loop could get bigger and not impact anything. The most concern I would have is the position ( twist) of the pump assembly so that it didn't touch the inside of the tank on the sides and cause abrasion from vibration. The last pic shows with the shortest hoses cut to proper length which I didn't do first time around. The bend tallest point is probably pretty close to the point where the molded hoses would place it or maybe just a bit taller when done like this. I agree, straight rubber hose would have to be fairly long to keep from kinking without some inner support of the hose in the bend but as long as it did not impact the sides of the tank, there is a fair amount of head room on the upper end.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts