BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the K1200LT-specific Baehr intercom on my '05 LT. It works fine - excellent sound quality, flexible, configurable, and expandable, but I'm looking to get into BlueTooth. I also have a Zumo 550 GPS and a BlackBerry Storm 2 cell phone.

There have been some recent discussions along these lines, including Rob's comments on his Cardo Scala G4, and a new thread discussing CB on the LT. Looking at the Scala units at a nearby m/c superstore yesterday I was "this close" to getting a Scala G4, but I don't want to ditch my Baehr until I have something in hand that does everything it does, including maintaining the LT's factory audio system controls.

What I'd like to know is: Is there one system - anywhere, at any reasonable price - that will do everything? My definition of "everything" is:

1. Wireless intercom between rider and passenger.
2. Bike-to-bike communications. Preferably VOX, but traditional PTT is OK. (I'm thinking FRS/GMRS over CB, for its superior sound quality.) If PTT, the PTT button should be mounted on the left handlebar, not on a radio mounted somewhere that requires removing the hand from the handlebar; however, this is not a deal-breaker.
3. Wireless reception of GPS spoken directions.
4. Wireless reception of cell phone calls. Making an outgoing call is not important for me, but if it's there I'd use it. Carefully. :)
5. Wireless listening to music from an MP3 player or cell phone, AND the LT's audio system. Yes, I listen to AM and FM radio!
6. Maintaining the LT's audio controls.
7. A proven product, well-made, with good sound quality and good post-sales support.

My second choice of "ultimate comm system" would be the same list as above, but with cables to helmets for intercom and all other audio devices on the bike. In this instance, the only wireless application would be bike-to-bike, of course.

If this ultimate system doesn't exist, then is there a way to add good bike-to-bike (FRS/GMRS or other technology) to a Baehr-equipped LT? The Baehr comes close to doing everything I want right now, except B2B. I do have the Icom GMRS radio but I've never been able to make it work, and I don't have a way to mount it. The few times I rode with it I stuck it in the tank bag and I've never been happy with the separate PTT button I have.

As a side note, I will say that again today I contacted Sierra Eletronics (Troy, OH). For the third time in 4 years they told me how easy it was to add a CB or other stuff to a Gold Wing (my friend rides a GL1800 and he and I want to get B2B going), but when I mention my LT their tone changes and they get... short. Regarding a CB, they claim "it can't be done" on an LT without losing the LT's audio system as an input. At least, that's what I think they were telling me. I'm not an idiot but these guys make me feel like one because all they can say is "nope, can't be done" and they don't want to take a few moments to help me understand. So, I'll send my friend their way and for $855+tax he can ride away with a Honda-brand CB installed in his top case (nice move, Honda), antenna, etc. They apparently don't want my money.

<edit>
RKA (the guys who make soft luggage) seem to do a good job of integrating everything. I have a call in to them. I have their previous-generation In-Charge tank bag, which has all the cables from the Baehr, cell, GPS, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Howard. I too have a 2005 k1200lt. I purchased it used and it came with a Baehr system model SGS-09-05. It did not come with the helmet pieces or the owners manual, so it is pretty much useless with just the head and cables that are attached to the head.

If your system matches this, I would be interested in buying yours when you get a new system.

Please let me know what you think.

Dave Van Houten

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
hschisler said:
What I'd like to know is: Is there one system - anywhere, at any reasonable price - that will do everything?
That seems to be the catch, for now. We'll compare notes at STC.

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dlvanho said:
Hi Howard. I too have a 2005 k1200lt. I purchased it used and it came with a Baehr system model SGS-09-05. It did not come with the helmet pieces or the owners manual, so it is pretty much useless with just the head and cables that are attached to the head.

If your system matches this, I would be interested in buying yours when you get a new system.

Please let me know what you think.

Dave Van Houten
Dave, if I understand this correctly all you need is the helmet headsets, correct? As much as I may (in the future) like to sell you my Baehr, you already have the most important component. I have an owner's manual for the SGS-09-04 (not -05 as you specifiy); it's attached to this post. Does this help?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CohesiveTechnology said:
The ultimate comm system does exist. I sell it.

http://www.cohesivetechnology.com.
Then we need to talk. Please email me and we'll get that conversation started. I took a quick look at your site but I have the usual list of questions.

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
messenger13_ver2 said:
That seems to be the catch, for now. We'll compare notes at STC.
If I can get everything on my list price is the last concern. That said, I'm sure there is a point at which I'd say "that's too much!", but I don't know where that is.

I saw your post on the BlueBike product. Yes, let's talk about this at STC. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CohesiveTechnology said:
Absolutely. I am in Chicago today; back tonight. How about tomorrow morning?

[email protected]

DJF
I'll be on the road all day tomorrow (on the LT, en route to North Carolina). You're welcome to call and leave a voice message, with a number where I can call you back. IIRC we don't have a steady cell signal at the Iron Horse Lodge, but I'll call you back when i can, or Monday at the latest.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hschisler said:
Dave, if I understand this correctly all you need is the helmet headsets, correct? As much as I may (in the future) like to sell you my Baehr, you already have the most important component. I have an owner's manual for the SGS-09-04 (not -05 as you specifiy); it's attached to this post. Does this help?
Hi Howard. Yes the instructions help. Where can I go about finding a pair of headsets for my Baehr? I was told that a place called National Cycle handles Baehr, but I called them and they do not. Thanks in advance for your help

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
76 Posts
Harold,

I also have the Baehr K1200LT specific intercom on my 2005 K1200LT. I also have Baehr's intercom on my 2007 K1200GT. Garmin ZUMO 550 on both. I too am looking to add bluetooth for telephone, and want find a Bluetooth stereo headset setup for my Schuberth Concept helmets. Bike to Bike Bluetooth would be an added bonus.I would like to add these capabalities without starting over on the Baehr Inbtercoms.

I would appreciate any tips you have learned on your research.

Steve
2005 K1200LT
2007 K1200GT
99 Harley Electraglide Classic

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mirage said:
Harold,

I also have the Baehr K1200LT specific intercom on my 2005 K1200LT. I also have Baehr's intercom on my 2007 K1200GT. Garmin ZUMO 550 on both. I too am looking to add bluetooth for telephone, and want find a Bluetooth stereo headset setup for my Schuberth Concept helmets. Bike to Bike Bluetooth would be an added bonus.I would like to add these capabalities without starting over on the Baehr Inbtercoms.

I would appreciate any tips you have learned on your research.

Steve
Well, Steve, I'm basically at a standstill. I had a lengthy email conversation with Richard at RKA, the guys who make the In-Charge tank bags. He has the BT thing nailed down, but it's more than I bargained for, price-wise. He gave me several quotes on different configurations but the bottom line, for me, is (1) find a way to make my Icom FRS/GMRS (or other FRS/GMRS) radio work with the Baehr and a PTT, or replace the whole shooting match. I was also contacted by two other vendors and was given some ideas by guys on and off this thread. It seems the easy way is to start over... but that's also the expensive way. I'm still toying with the idea of just buying a new helmet and dedicating a BT comm system to that - something like the Cardo Scala G4, for example.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Check out the Star Com Digital commo system that's sold by http://www.bikeeffects.com/

I bought the digital model from them last year and have been very happy. I don't use it to the extent you want to, but what I do use works great and the the person I spoke with there was very helpful and knowledgeable.

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Bob. The Starcom products are the basis for RKA's packages they put together. RKA's niche - and a very attractive feature, IMO - is everything goes in the tank bag. Nothing is installed on the bike. You unsnap the bag and take it with you for security.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys --new here -just bought my LT in Jan.2010 --Been looking at the new --- VIPER BLUETOOTH FLIP FRONT HELMET WITH SUNVISOR
VIPER RS-V121 BLUETOOTH -- on ebay --It will do it all !!! has anyone used one of these helmets ... Thanks Bentley

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Howard, this may off in the very near future but a local manufacturer picked up my bike before STC and some dude from Arizona took the bluetooth "measurements" off of my LT, they have pretty much perfected the "Wing and now they are wanting to do the BMW's.

I will be running the BT on my bike once it is ready to be installed.

More info as comes available.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Howard,

I have the same bike (05LT) and am in the same boat (Baehr LT Comm)....Im thinking Scala G4 right now unless theres something better for the money, I have to get the 2 rider set-up as it would be for me and the missus.

F

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
BentleyS said:
Hi guys --new here -just bought my LT in Jan.2010 --Been looking at the new --- VIPER BLUETOOTH FLIP FRONT HELMET WITH SUNVISOR
VIPER RS-V121 BLUETOOTH -- on ebay --It will do it all !!! has anyone used one of these helmets ... Thanks Bentley
Seems way too good to be true! Everything included? I've been searching for a "quiet" flip helmet if this one is, I'm sold. Please let me know what you think of it after a few rides with your windshield down. They are all quiet when the wind is blocked.

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Florian said:
Howard,

I have the same bike (05LT) and am in the same boat (Baehr LT Comm)....Im thinking Scala G4 right now unless theres something better for the money, I have to get the 2 rider set-up as it would be for me and the missus.

F
I have no doubt I could spring for a pair of the Scala G4s today and gain some of what I want, but I would be losing the bike audio controls (maybe that's not a big deal once you leave them behind), but I would also like the ability to talk with more than 3 other people (two couples, all using the Scala G4) with FRS/GMRS. But, as I think about it now I don't really ride in any larger groups except at events like STC.

OK, so maybe I'm talking myself into this Scala thing. So many options... :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts