BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have or know of someone selling an instrument cluster for an 06 k1200lt. My computer display has started to become black or something like that from the sun. Bugs me looking at it.

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,005 Posts
I have one from a 2005 that is the same as yours $100.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,597 Posts
You only have to replace the center LCD screen from the donor dash so you can retain your odometer. That is what Mondrage did in Nicaragua on his LT.

This is the post

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John Im just curious about your post> I have not ever done this before but if I get Daves posted above I just replace the LCD unit? Is that correct? I would rather do that and save my mileage readout>

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave just let me know what I need to do. That display bugs me every time I ride. LOL

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,005 Posts
I'll post a picture tonight or tomorrow of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Dave. No big hurry and I will keep an eye out for the pics. Let me know the shipping cost and I will add it to the price.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,597 Posts
I am on the road so I don’t have access to my photos, but the LCD unit is a plug in module to the main board. Check the photos in the mondrage link I posted.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't find the link you were referring too. No big hurry for the photos just when you get a chance to send them. Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the post. So is the dash you have for sale the complete instrument panel which I can just replace the whole unit or just the LCD screen?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read the posts from Mondrage- " You can just swap the LCD screen assembly itself while keeping the original board and gauges. While I don't know for sure but I suspect the ODO data is stored on the big chip on the back of the board." I guess I can try just replacing the LCD part if it isnt all that hard. Sorry for all the silly questions but I will still buy the unit from you and once I dive into it I will decide just to replace the entire instrument panal or swap just the LCD unit out. I dont want the black areas to show like the post from Mondrage though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks Dave for the pic. I will take it if you don't mind. I will obviously pay you for the shipping costs too. Let me know how to pay you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dave is shipping the instrument panel and I should be receiving it in the next couple of days. I believe this unit has more miles indicating than mine does. Dave has mentioned to me John Zeiler might be the expert here on details about just changing out the LCD unit. Is this a possibility and is it hard to get inside of the unit to do so? Any feedback would be helpful.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,597 Posts
The cover unscrews but do NOT touch the inside of the clear cover as it has a coating on it that is easily damaged. The LCD module it a plug in unit and is just the display all data is stored on the big circuit board. I do not have a picture of the display by itself but I do have what the board looks like when you unplug it. I have circled the two connectors for the display. The speedo and tach dials can be left on and you should be able to pull the LCD off.

\

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the information John. I am attaching a picture of my LCD display. It appears to function ok but as you can see in the picture the blackening in or around it. I am pretty sure this damage was caused by the sun. I am not sure if it is the LCD module itself or from the clear cover you mentioned. Any ideas from your experience. I am hoping it might just be the clear covering and that is all I need to replace. I should be receiving the new instrument cluster tomorrow. Thanks for your advise.
IMG_0104[50052] - Copy.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts