BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and Happy Holidays to everyone.

I recently posted that I had bought one of the Ducatti Design headlight sets for Mein Byk. I read the instructions, which are straight-forward, but I think I'm in over my head when it comes to taking the nosecone apart. I don't know where all the screws are located and I fear I'll mess something up big-time. I have the 12,000 mile service to do, and was thinking of having the dealer install the light for me while they had it open, but that will likely cost me more than the light itself. I'm so unhappy about this whole thing. If there's anyone locally who can help, it would be greatly appreciated. Even if it's just a set of instructions on how to take the darn thing apart, that would be a start. As I mentioned in the other post, I'm not opposed to getting my hands dirty, nor an I afraid of taking the tupperware off; it's just the idea of flying blind that is worrisome. Thanks for listening to me whine.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
you need to take the side panels off,wings, mirrors, windshield (4 screws) ,dash, loosen the gold screws where the mirrors are, unscrew the headlight adjuster, pull out the courtesy( map light) and loosen that screw in there, look around the front by the top of the nose cone and a few screws there, and the whole thing should drop down, unhook the electrical connections for the headlight and you are free to do what ever you need to do.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Removing the tupperware although intimidating at first gets easier each time you do it,
Printing out the attached picture should help with the location of the screws,
If you make our RTE, I can talk you through a lot of it,

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all who have posted replies thus far. I think I have enough to try this project. I'll come crying again if I stumble. :)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I found getting the nose cone off a real pain also. There is a screw in the center of the dash behind the light if I remember correctly that was a real pain because everything was loose but the top cover of the dash wouldn't come off, then I found the screw.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did it...and more!

Hello, everyone:

Just to update you, I was able to tear MeinByk apart and install the new Ducatti Designs headlight. The light is very well made and fits beautifully, as though it had always been there. Ducatti Designs did a fine manufacturing job.

For good measure, I also put in an LED strip with a strobe unit to act as a 3rd taillight. The light on the topcase already functions as a running light, and has a Kisan flasher unit. This additional light strip strobes and then goes to solid only when the brakes are applied. Since it strobes and is markedly different from the topcase flasher, it draws lots of attention to the fact that I'm stopping. Thanks to Larry Schumer for sending me some piggy-back connectors for the installation.

In addition to those who commented on this thread, I would like to thank two people in particular: sheldan2, who offered to help via PM, and SiverBuffalo, who was kind enough to PM me with his phone number. I didn't have to call either of them, but the offers were much appreciated. The members of this forum are an amazing bunch. I hope I can help others in the future as I have been helped. Below are a set of pictures of the work and finished product.

Happy New Year to all.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Glad it worked out for you, if you need further help, you know where to come to. I like that led strip you have on your top case, where you get it?, and how to install, inquiring minds want to know.....

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sheldan2 said:
Glad it worked out for you, if you need further help, you know where to come to. I like that led strip you have on your top case, where you get it?, and how to install, inquiring minds want to know.....
Oops! Should have elaborated. The strip came from here http://www.customdynamics.com/flex_led_array.htm . I removed the topcase and its liner, then dry-fitted the strip on the topcase edge, marking the location of the wires that exit the end of the strip. After marking the topcase, I drilled a small hole, just big enough for the wires to get through and ran them on the bottom of the topcase. I then drilled through the bottom of the topcase and straight through the tray below, such that I could run the wires to the taillight connections. Using the piggybacks Larry sent me, I attached the strobe unit (found here: http://www.customdynamics.com/led_strobe.htm) and the wires from the LED strip to the taillights and voilà. I tucked the strobe unit on top of the taillight assembly and used velcro to secure it in place. I then reinstalled the topcase and verified the strip still worked before securing it with the 3M tape included in the kit. I replaced the topcase liner and thus hid all the wiring. If I ever need to completely remove the topcase, I simply unplug the quick disconnects and I'm all set. BTW, the strobe unit does not interfere with the ABS in any way. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
That looks sharp! I may have to do something like that on my topcase. Looks like I can solder together red and amber to make brake light and aux turn signals. Hmmmmm.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
Very clean, Joe. Your bike is unique now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts