BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. does anyone know if our LT speakers match to any BMW car speakers? there is a used parts dealer here and brings stuff like these, speakers, radios etc from used cars. I hope there is a match so I get away cheap with the 4 speakers.
The last owner had the ambition of making a "loud" sound system so he used attenuators on the normal outputs to make a Line-out signal and connected it to a 4 ch*45W RMS STEG amplifier. At this size he could not get speakers able to handle the amplifier output and shorted one channel output and all speakers were overheated resulting too much distortion.
I removed all the junk he put in and connected the original way. Three speakers work but only at low volume so I can't really enjoy music while riding.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
think you will find the radio is stuffed, have you tried another speaker any type of speaker should be able to be used to test it, they are nothing special just not made of paper. so water proof.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
think you will find the radio is stuffed, have you tried another speaker any type of speaker should be able to be used to test it, they are nothing special just not made of paper. so water proof.
Thanks Linton, I did not think of it, I will give it a try with other speakers although my 28 years experience as an electronics repair technician on electronic devices(car and home audio, VCRs, TVs, Satellite sets etc.) tells me that the speakers are bad.
Can you please explain me what do you mean by saying "stuffed radio"?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Your experience tells you that you get what you pay for in electronics items and parts. In a 5 1/4" speaker one would replace with a quality upgrade in Infinity, JBL, Kenwood Exelon and many other high end speakers with a good SPL. As a treasure hunter I also find good buys on close outs online. This is a great winter project and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Highway speeds are quite loud but I enjoy the radio at slower speeds. Harmanaudio.com and harmanaudio Ebay are a good place to find sales. Good luck.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, Moogie, you are right on what experience tells but for the bike speakers they were installed on the used bike I bought. There was no chance of choosing these. The point is that I need to find new ones on the 5" and 1/4" dimension.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Thanks Linton, I did not think of it, I will give it a try with other speakers although my 28 years experience as an electronics repair technician on electronic devices(car and home audio, VCRs, TVs, Satellite sets etc.) tells me that the speakers are bad.
Can you please explain me what do you mean by saying "stuffed radio"?
Stuffed - Bad, fried, toast, FUBARed, crapped out, blown, generally non-operable.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Someone replaced mine with Alpine...
They sound pretty good.

You can't go wrong if you install any marine grade speaker.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
amplifier seems to be a common failure do a search on radio, or scroll to the very bottom of the page it has links on what you want to know. I copied this out of one of them Alpine SPS-13C2 5.25" 350 watt 2-way, aim-able tweeters, poly cones (not affected by water, but don't soak 'em).

·
Registered
676 Posts
Sounds like a good time to run a cost comparison of replacing your speakers VS buying an up to date Bluetooth Com system.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sounds like a good time to run a cost comparison of replacing your speakers VS buying an up to date Bluetooth Com system.
Nikos, I absolutely agree with Guitarjim. Even when the stereo is working well, it is still very hard to hear anything at highway speed and tends to be annoying to other vehicles around you in traffic. Get a bluetooth intercom system for your helmet so you can either connect to your phone or other music device by bluetooth or by direct wire. You get all the advantages of being able to talk to your passenger comfortably, answer your phone while riding, hear GPS instructions from a bluetooth capable GPS, and you aren't blasting your music to the whole world. I bought a two unit Sena SMH-10 set (for me and the wife) for less than $300 and I haven't turned on the built-in stereo on the bike in 3 years. Very happy and much more reliable than trying to fix a barely adequate stereo.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I use a Scala Rider G9 for music/phone/GPS and it works great. No loss at any speed. The only downside to it is that all of the steady Bluetooth streaming does wear the battery out in the headset. I've had it die on me when riding longer trips. It does run a good 8 or 10 hours though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an 02 I'm parting out that had 8k miles on it.... I have the speakers I could sell you.... Let me know and I can send you pics of them

·
Registered
13 Posts
To anyone thinking upgrading the radio. I recently purchased my 06 LT and the radio had issues, some speakers didnt work and it was difficult to seek radio stations. I purchased a Pioneer DEH-X6710BT and changed out the rear speakers to Sony 5 1/'4, 4 way's. I wasn't able to swap out the front speakers due to fact I would've had to remove more hardware... The speakers were fine anyways and sounded great.. Once the radio was installed I added a cell phone holder thats sits right above the stingray. The phone (Android) is paired via bluetooth to the radio. Whats also great Pioneer has a Free App so you control the radio directly from the phone. Plus I paired my Helmet via Sena Bluetooth so I can listen to the radio/cd or talk on my cell. I'll add some photo's later. Removing the tuperware and reinstalling wasnt as bad as I thought. Now I feel more confident to work on my own bike..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts