BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Draining oil in my LT gearbox and.......out came a 1/2" diameter fibre washer !!!!!!
Was blue, broken at one side, and pretty sad looking, like it'd been in there a long time.
I'm feeling like it was dropped in during assembly.... but....?????
I can't imagine a fibre washer being of much use in a gearbox............
Any other ideas ??

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Picture ?

John

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks like this.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody w/ ??

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,116 Posts
I have looked through the parts lists and see no fiber washer listed or anything close. Hard to tell just where is came from but I don't think it is an issue for the transmission.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Hi, Allan - question for ya. Did you see that washer 'drop' outta the drain hole of the tranny? OR, could it have dropped into your drain container from, say the gear shifter assembly? Doesn't really look Ed Zachery like the dust/dirt/debris-blocker washers that are among the gear shifter parts, butt if it has been stuck in a holding pattern for a bit, could be?? Only other place I can think of that has a felt/fibre type washer would be on the Slave Cylinder thrust rod?

Might take a look at a parts fische blow-up pic and see if anything comes to mind. Good luck in solving the mystery!!

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
STARFIGHTER said:
Anybody w/ ??
Are you sure it is "fiber"? On a cross section view is it round or square? Can you measure it and provide another picture from a different profile (with a plain white paper background too)? to your knowledge has the transmission ever been opened?

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Square (well rectangle) in section
It is fibre........
I think Dick may have the answer..... I didn't really see it drop ..but the drip pan was clean when I started and then I found the washer in it after draining oil from gearbox.......
I'm going to inspect the shift area as I seem to recall something similar there................

·
Registered
596 Posts
looks like an improvised crush washer for the drain plug.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Too small to fit the drain plug...................

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm with Dick, I'm an auto trans tech and have been into a few motorcycles and I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have my gearbox completely apart right now.
there are NO fiber washers inside.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanx to all
I'm making it the phantom washer from space and forgetting it entirely.........
Thanx for all the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts