BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am still debating replacing my recently totaled 1999 LT with another LT or a lighter bike like an RT or GT. I am afraid that if I move away from the LT I will miss the confort and protection it offers. If I go with another LT I will go with a post 2005 LT. For those who had both pre and post 2005 LT's can you tell me if there is a noticeable difference in the weigth feeling at low speed between these models? Same question about the increase in engine power from 98hp to 116hp?
Thanks

·
Registered
787 Posts
I can't help you with a comparison since I've never owned a pre 2005 LT. I did provide this info below in a previous post to someone wanting to know the differences . Hope this helps, good luck:

The 2005 or later is the way to go. I have a 2007 and wife rides with me 95% of the time. I have test rode with her many of the new BMW's and competitors bikes and she loves the LT hands down. Some of the advantages are:

Electric/Hyd. center stand
More HP
Later bikes hopefully have had all tech bulletins and warranty upgrades done.
Xenon headlight
improved steering geometry for slow speed handling (really?)
fewer FD failures
New J&M voice II comm system worked fine until we upgraded to helmet mounted bluetooth system
New easier throttle cable
flat screen dash display with computer rider info readout
beefier shift linkage
Better motronics improve warm and cold weather performance
upgraded starter relay
Nicer looking front fender and chrome grill additions
Prices now for later models that are in good shape are getting very reasonable. The less mileage the less wear and tear. You could find a 2008 LT with less than 50K miles for around $8K. Also many of the bikes will have accessories that the cost won't be reflected in the asking price. For instance my bike has $5k worth of extras that I most likely could not recover those costs when I sell.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Not much that I could notice in the low speed handling or the little extra hp. the bike just doesn't like tight turns and that require brakes.

Power assisted brakes compared to the '99 you had.
Not all post '05 had xenon headlights or Comm systems.
EHCS is the BOMB! but never had a problem doing it manually (it is technique, not muscle)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can't help you with a comparison since I've never owned a pre 2005 LT. I did provide this info below in a previous post to someone wanting to know the differences . Hope this helps, good luck:

The 2005 or later is the way to go. I have a 2007 and wife rides with me 95% of the time. I have test rode with her many of the new BMW's and competitors bikes and she loves the LT hands down. Some of the advantages are:

Electric/Hyd. center stand
More HP
Later bikes hopefully have had all tech bulletins and warranty upgrades done.
Xenon headlight
improved steering geometry for slow speed handling (really?)
fewer FD failures
New J&M voice II comm system worked fine until we upgraded to helmet mounted bluetooth system
New easier throttle cable
flat screen dash display with computer rider info readout
beefier shift linkage
Better motronics improve warm and cold weather performance
upgraded starter relay
Nicer looking front fender and chrome grill additions
Prices now for later models that are in good shape are getting very reasonable. The less mileage the less wear and tear. You could find a 2008 LT with less than 50K miles for around $8K. Also many of the bikes will have accessories that the cost won't be reflected in the asking price. For instance my bike has $5k worth of extras that I most likely could not recover those costs when I sell.
since u havent owened both u make a good point besides having to use a rope to start the pre 05's i dont think the higher price is worth it
some people appreciate classics

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I test rode an 06 before I bought my 2004. To me. I did not notice the steering difference. The HP wasn't that huge of a difference. I really don't need a EHCS. Or central locking. Just more s#@t to go wrong. Hell mines got servo assist brakes. And I could do without that. But. I really do love my 2004. Would I have paid an extra $2k for an 2006? No. It didn't warrant the higher price to me. Although. I really do love the redesigned instrument cluster on the 2005 and up. It's better looking and easier to read.

·
Registered
170 Posts
IMO the hyd. center stand is worth it! But I hate those power brakes.
have to agree with you on the brakes after /2 a season still find them touchy- the center stand is the reason I went with the post 05- the motor is just too large for me 5'7" and 155 soaking wet- I already have issues with moving the bike around - all the extras like the central locking i love - typical it seems that the radio puked a chip but sent it to a fellow in Florida and 200 later she in and works fine

·
Registered
170 Posts
IMO the hyd. center stand is worth it! But I hate those power brakes.
have to agree with you on the brakes after 1/2 a season still find them touchy- the center stand is the reason I went with the post 05- the motor is just too large for me 5'7" and 155 soaking wet- I already have issues with moving the bike around - all the extras like the central locking i love - typical it seems that the radio puked a chip but sent it to a fellow in Florida and 200 later she in and works fine

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I had an 03 first and put 75,000 on it. I got an 05 and it is MUCH easier to maneuver at low speeds. It rides better and handles better all around. And it's much faster..............especially the blue ones..........:wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts