BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I want to import a 2007 R1200 RT into Canada. The seller advises that he can secure a recall letter from his dealer. Can someone advise of the exact procedure (like what paperwork is required and where to get it, ...) to import and get the bike registered and licensed in canada with the least amount of hassle possible? Thank you

·
Registered
519 Posts
glengil said:
Hi, I want to import a 2007 R1200 RT into Canada. The seller advises that he can secure a recall letter from his dealer. Can someone advise of the exact procedure (like what paperwork is required and where to get it, ...) to import and get the bike registered and licensed in canada with the least amount of hassle possible? Thank you
Glengil;

Check this site out www.riv.ca They have all the info you will need to get the bike into Canada.

I followed the directions, filled out the forms and got the owner to get the papers together, and everything went smooth!!

Remember, you have to stop at the US customs ( they also need the info).

I did my 2005 LT in 2008 and it took about 1 hour for both borders and it was mine ( once you pay the riv fee ( 220.00 Can) taxes and fill the paperwork out.

Good luck!!

Call the riv and they will walk you through the process.

Regards,
Bowdon

·
Registered
160 Posts
Make sure you get a recall letter from your dealer or seller. Have the information including title papers and bill of sale faxed to the Canadian customs and Us border patrol 72 hours before you cross the border. I brought my 06 LT into Canada but had to pay the $500.00 extortion fee to BMW Canada as none of the US dealers would give me a recall letter. I should have tried to bribe them with $100.00 or $200.00. There is currently a class action suit against RIV and BMW Canada over this so called inspection for a recall letter.
Good luck,
Jim :confused: :dance:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Here are a couple of threads on the subject;

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46936

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39646

Which border crossing are you bringing the bike over at? I just brought my second bike over a month and a half ago through Port Huron. The problem on the US side is the department that clears the title only operates mon-thurs 8-8 and fri 8-12 and closed on the weekend.

This is important, make sure you take the confirmation of successful fax of the title. This is the only document that this US crossing seemed to be interested in to process the clearance.

If you have problem getting a US clearance letter or have any other questions send me a PM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the assistance. I'm thinking of coming across at Buffalo/Fort Erie. The seller says no problem getting the recall letter. I'll study the threads suggested to try to make it go smoothly. Thanks again

·
Registered
16 Posts
One thing that you have to note is that RIV will not accept a "letter" for the recall clearance. It has to be a screen print or something like that from their dealer network computer.

Best if you ask the seller to send you the letter first to see what it looks like. I had this problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts