BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one imported a bike into Canada lately?
What is required?
Is a US BMW warranty transferable to Canada?
thanks...brian

·
Registered
27 Posts
The GOC website has info, you can Google it. Watch out as being German you may get hit with duties as well as all our sales taxes depending upon age etc. I'd call first and provide them the details in writing via email and get a quote. Canadian standards are such that there are several blacklisted US and Japanese built vehicles that do not make it here even though they are fine for the US market (some Camry's are listed). Same goes for some Honda bikes. Things such as the fuel shut off functionality can be an issue.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I ran into a fellow over the summer. He had brought a Ducati back from the US into Canada. He had found a loophole that allowed him to pay no duties just the taxes. It was something to do with fuel efficient vehicles brought into Canada.

I see him every once in a while at the local Starbucks. If I see him I will ask.

Cheers

·
Registered
94 Posts
Importing bike into Canada

Brian, I imported my 2002 LTC and Unigo into Canada from Virginia this summer. I had no problems doing so but you have to do your prep. work in advance to make it all run smoothly.

Let me know if I can help.

Dave Broughton
Calgary, Alberta
2002 K1200LTC and Unigo
1993 K75RT

·
Registered
92 Posts
Try CMGOnline

CMGONLINE the Canadian Motorcycle Group has info on importing a bike into Canada on their web site.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Importing Bike into Canada

I just returned from Rochester N.Y. last Friday with a K1200.
Spent total of 2 minutes at US customs leaving the US. They checked the title that was faxed to them the week prior.
Spent total of 5 minutes at Canada Customs. They did up form for payment of GST. No duty on used motorcycles coming into Canada.
Paid GST, and received a formto send off to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles, www.RIV.ca + $182.00. They'll send out the inspection package to be filled out with 30 - 45 days.

Like I told some friends, it would be harder trying to come across the border with a case of fruit, or almost anything else, at least in Ontario at the Lewsiton border crossing.

Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts