BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to be the best way to describe my predicament.
I test rode the new k1200lt and r1200rt, and came away with a winner hands down.
Obviously, the LT.

Now the predicament.
How do I justify spending $22k on a 5 speed?
Can someone please tell me why BMW does this on their flagship bike?
Does anyone know if they plan on upgrading their gearbox soon. I would wait.

Maybe the K1200GT is a better choice? But I perfer an upright riding position.

Confused in Katy

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
On the current LT, the *Reverse Gear Drive* takes up some room that a sixth gear would occupy.

And, the 850 pound Light Truck NEEDS reverse, trust me.

The engine likes high revs and most of us don't miss a 6th gear! The bike will run 125 - 128 mph. Smooth as silk all the way! :D

What the next iteration holds...nobody knows! ;)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Nobody knows for sure when the replacement for the LT will be available but the bests estimates are 2008 or 2009 so I wouldn't wait. You could get a low mileage 2005 for a great price right now so that might be a good choice until the new model comes out.

This is an eight year old design now and every other bike in the BMW lineup has been redone in the last couple of years.

I think everyone is looking for a six speed and about 150hp in the next model. I'm keeping my 1999 model until then.

Good Luck,
Kevin

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi,
I'm not sure why you're concerned about the 5 speed gearbox. As you will see in several threads here mileagewise you will get upwards of 45 mpg from the LT. Many say, that depending on the conditions it'll be 50+ mpg.
I rode a 2004 K1200GT with a 6 speed gearbox before the LT and on a good day (i.e. long distance ride) I'd get maybe 38 mpg.
The 6th gear will not give you significantly better mpg - it might lower the rpm and thus increase the confort level IF the bike is prone to resonance (vibration) at certain rpm-s.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
The 5th gear on the LT is an overdrive gear I believe, The GT's 6th gear is not an overdrive. Luckily both bikes love the high rpms and can be kept up there all day everyday with no harm. I think the Gt needs a 7th gear more than the LT needs a 6th.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
cantex,

if that's your major 'show stopper' - don't let it bother ya. Of all the things I've heard folks complain about, that's the one that's had so few instances I don't remember the details.

Get it, you'll love it :thumb:

·
Registered
938 Posts
The 5 speed gear box is a no issue. I am finding that as the RPMs go up at higher speed, it is actually a little smoother riding, especially around 4K at about 80+ mph. Smooth as silk.

In Denver we are averaging between 50 - 53 mpg.. This bike is not designed to be a crotch rocket. It is a touring bike that does the job better then just about any other bike. I have riden the RT and in 6th gear it still isn't as smooth as the LT in 5th..

·
Registered
460 Posts
4500 RPM hum is your 90 mph warning

And, it feels really good to ride between 5K and 7K RPM on my LT, but...

If I'm in 5th and hit the resonant frequency (common in LT's between 4300 and 4500 RPM), that's my non-visual jail-time and dismemberment (AKA, Proof of Newton's Three Law's of Motion) notice. While it's fun to push the limits from time to time, one's life expectancy rapidly decreases if 100+ is the norm. Is that your normal cruise speed? :eek:

If it's ultra low RPM to improve fuel ecconomy you'd like, I can't fault that. However, I wonder whether much would be gained on a fully loaded LT. I get about 45 mpg at 75 mph.

Welcome to the community! The LT is a premier touring engineering marvel.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Don't know why the sixth gear would bother you, as above, you need a reverse once in awhile on the LT. My brother has a new RT, and a couple things I can tell you about a comparison are. The RT is much more uncomfortable on long rides, and the LT will stay with the RT from an acceleration standpoint at least thru third gear, haven't had the room to go higher, but assume the RT would pull away at some point. If you can stand the weight, and low speed handling problems, the LT is the better tourer.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
lord_helmet said:
Hi,
I'm not sure why you're concerned about the 5 speed gearbox. As you will see in several threads here mileagewise you will get upwards of 45 mpg from the LT. Many say, that depending on the conditions it'll be 50+ mpg.
I rode a 2004 K1200GT with a 6 speed gearbox before the LT and on a good day (i.e. long distance ride) I'd get maybe 38 mpg.
The 6th gear will not give you significantly better mpg - it might lower the rpm and thus increase the confort level IF the bike is prone to resonance (vibration) at certain rpm-s.
Yes, even without a sixth gear, the LT's mileage was awesome. I averaged 45+ in city/freeway combo. Amazing for sure a large machine. The engine does love to rev.

My GT is getting the same--but no better. The engine loves to rev even more!

Look around for a clean used LT--say one or two years old.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I too hated the fact that the LT didn't have a 6th gear. But I don't think the new GT is your answer either. I love my new GT, but I like the ergos better than the LT's . . . sounds like they won't work for you quite as well.

You could always buy a used LT to see if the tranny is really that big of a deal. Lots of good deals out there if you're patient and/or willing to fly & ride it home.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just went through the exact same situation. Went to my dealer's open house a couple of weeks ago heart-set on the RT. Left with the LT and never looked back. It's a fantastic bike and to me the in-line 4 is much smoother with less vibration than the boxer twin. I love the reverse gear and wouldn't trade it for a 6th gear. I frankly don't know when I would ever use 6th gear. I rarely ever get to 5th unless I need to "leave" traffic on the interstate. And if you do any 2-up the LT is the only way to go. Good luck on your decision.

Ray

·
Registered
558 Posts
If the 6th gear is important to you I would get the GT and some bar risers. The reverse on the LT is nice when needed but I have only used mine maybe half a dozen times. I have not ridden the GT. I have sat on one and I like the feel of the LT better. The GT must have something good going for it as I have seen several on the road-about as many as LT's lately-and the LT has been out for a while now. I would get what felt the best and not worry about what might come out.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I don't need 6th gear

I would echo what others have said here. I don't think the bike needs a Sixth gear. My 2000 is getting between 48-52 mpg, and at 70 mph, it is running around 3000 rpm. At 90, it is only running around 4000 rpm. So I wouldn't let the fact it doesn't have 6th gear bother me. jrlakin

·
Registered
866 Posts
We have 5 gears?

I hardly ever get out of the powerzone in 3rd + 4 th gear!!!!!

Higher revs means better strafing ability for suspension loading !!!!

5th gear means I spend as much time looking in my rear view mirror for LEO's as in front of me!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I notice the difference with my 5 spd LT Trannie. However, the gearing is such that I think the bike's performance is optimized.

Would sure be a lot nicer with a more fine-tuned powerband of the 6 spd, though.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
sanjaun2 said:
The 5th gear on the LT is an overdrive gear I believe, The GT's 6th gear is not an overdrive. Luckily both bikes love the high rpms and can be kept up there all day everyday with no harm. I think the Gt needs a 7th gear more than the LT needs a 6th.
Regarding the overdrive 5th - From 99 - 01 5th was almost an overdrive, but the RPM change from 4th to 5th generated complaints and sometimes made downshifts rough. The changes it in 02 to be a closer ratio to the rest of the gearing and have kept that through current models, and definietly not an overdrive gear. I actually wish they would have kept the taller 5th gear from the early models.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
Regarding the overdrive 5th - From 99 - 01 5th was almost an overdrive, but the RPM change from 4th to 5th generated complaints and sometimes made downshifts rough. The changes it in 02 to be a closer ratio to the rest of the gearing and have kept that through current models, and definietly not an overdrive gear. I actually wish they would have kept the taller 5th gear from the early models.
Actually, 4th and 5th gears are overdrive. Here are the transmission ratios for the '06 LT:

Transmission ratios - I; 2.045, II; 1.600, III; 1.267, IV; 0.970, V; 0.806

Overdrive is when the transmission input RPM/output RPM is less than 1.0

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I had the bike for a test ride, albeit it was only about 25 miles, I noticed a couple of times I went to see if there was another gear there. It just seemed to sound like I should shift again. I know its not a big thing once you get used to it., but for the $$$, it would be nice to have.

It probably means I will probably used, rather than new.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts