BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like I saw information information pertaining to replacement shock installation but I can't find it. Help on the link? About how long does it take to do the installation? Are there any special tools needed? Now for the real simple question; How hard is it to do the installation by myself? Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Someone will shout with the link for you - it is here somewhere.
I managed it - 1st big job I had ever done really.
No special tools (but you need 2x19 spanner IIRC)
Need thread loc
Took me a month - BUT, I was enjoying it and really taking my time. People here have done them in a day easy.
You wont believe how good it will feel after!

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Do a search on ohlins install - lots of results.....
Also go into the archives of the old site and do the same search....

Basically it takes 1/2 day and you may as well do a 12k while you have the LT apart. It really helps if you have a least one extra set of hands to help.

·
Registered
654 Posts
DaveDragon said:
You have to remove the Radio Stingray to get to the top of the front shock.
I've slept since then, but I thought there is a way to remove the front without removing the stingray.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tanks

I'm getting all of the knowledge together and gradually working up my nerve. Last major tasks were installing the Remus, HID, GPS and intercom. Guess this can't be that bad! Looks like a good weekend project.Is there any difference between the Ohlins and Wilbur installation?

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
zaphod said:
I've slept since then, but I thought there is a way to remove the front without removing the stingray.
You HAVE to remove the stingray, or you won't be able to remove the middle, silver cover where the ignition key is. Of course, to remove that, you have to remove the handlebar covers. I even remove the gas tank to make it easier.

Note: It's best to remove the rear shock, then jack up the front of the bike to get the front shock off. And it won't come off unless you get up in the shock tower and remove a rubber bumper first.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
zaphod said:
Nope, but there is a way where you don't undo the telelever ball joint. Just remove the front tire and disconnect the mounting of the brake lines to the forks and you can get enough downward movement to remove the shock. This leaves the ball joint (and its green loctite) intact. No special tools - no high torque.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
jzeiler said:
Nope, but there is a way where you don't undo the telelever ball joint. Just remove the front tire and disconnect the mounting of the brake lines to the forks and you can get enough downward movement to remove the shock. This leaves the ball joint (and its green loctite) intact. No special tools - no high torque.
You don't have to do that if you remove the rear shock first. This allows the bike to be jacked high enough.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Also be very carefull when you jack the front end up - This will stretch the front brake lines ( I actually remove the calipers and unhook the lines so they won't get damaged).

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe above my average skill

Starting to think that this potential project might be just a little advanced for my skill. Think I'll check with the local shop to see if it's worth the time $$$ I'll save. Looks like about a 4-6 hour shop special. I do appreciate to advise and will keep reading...

·
Registered
175 Posts
http://www.ohlins.com/Motorcycle/Hidden/Recommendationlist/tabid/110/Default.aspx

I'm too computer illiterate to make a real link, but the Ohlins site has step by step instructions. Doesn't seem bad at all unless their leaving out steps. I am preparing to purchase shocks, I spoke with Ted Porter at the "Beemer Shop",(beemershop.com). He sells both Ohlins and Wilburs, the current price is $1,277 front and back for Wilburs and $1,500 for the Ohlins. Both manufacturers offer the rear with rebound damping and the remote preload. The Wilburs however has rebound damping adjustment whereas the Ohlins does not. Turnaround time is aprox. 3 weeks He also stated that Wilburs was in the process of establishing a NA headquarters in Florida. I had never spoken with Ted, he was a pleasure to talk to on the phone. I plan on placing an order for the Wilburs.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
great information

alanforn said:
http://www.ohlins.com/Motorcycle/Hidden/Recommendationlist/tabid/110/Default.aspx

I'm too computer illiterate to make a real link, but the Ohlins site has step by step instructions. Doesn't seem bad at all unless their leaving out steps. I am preparing to purchase shocks, I spoke with Ted Porter at the "Beemer Shop",(beemershop.com). He sells both Ohlins and Wilburs, the current price is $1,277 front and back for Wilburs and $1,500 for the Ohlins. Both manufacturers offer the rear with rebound damping and the remote preload. The Wilburs however has rebound damping adjustment whereas the Ohlins does not. Turnaround time is aprox. 3 weeks He also stated that Wilburs was in the process of establishing a NA headquarters in Florida. I had never spoken with Ted, he was a pleasure to talk to on the phone. I plan on placing an order for the Wilburs.
tanks.....

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Manual seems almost too easy!

I opened all three and the instructions seem to be too simplistic.... Seems like steps are left out. Can't see how it could take so long to install, as others have said. Someone said it was necessary to remove the fuel tank for the front shock. Curious to hear you installation experience. Wish I could "assist" your installation.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tanks

As usual the members of this board have given me the confidence to tackle a lot of projects that I previously would not have attempted. Most likely, I'll get started as soon as I get back in town. Seems like the hardest step is the FIRST one.

Been called away unexpectedly and will probably pull the trigger soon.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
dandiver said:
As usual the members of this board have given me the confidence to tackle a lot of projects that I previously would not have attempted. Most likely, I'll get started as soon as I get back in town. Seems like the hardest step is the FIRST one.

Been called away unexpectedly and will probably pull the trigger soon.
You did go to http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?faq=how_customization#faq_how_faq_cussusp where several folks have detailed the process, right?

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hey Dan,
I've done and/or assisted with a few shock replacements including my own and Dave Dragon. I have a lift and a few tools lying around. So, if you'd be interested in riding up here to Mount Dora I'd be pleased to let you use my work shop and offer you moral support. If your interested, let me know and we'll pick a date and perhaps even be able to get a few other folks who are interested in learning/helping to come along as well. Gee, if the date doesn't conflict with CCR we might even be able to convince Dave Dragon to show up and that way you and he could join up and ride up together!

Lynn

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That sounds AWSOME !

Lynn_Keen said:
Hey Dan,
I've done and/or assisted with a few shock replacements including my own and Dave Dragon. I have a lift and a few tools lying around. So, if you'd be interested in riding up here to Mount Dora I'd be pleased to let you use my work shop and offer you moral support. If your interested, let me know and we'll pick a date and perhaps even be able to get a few other folks who are interested in learning/helping to come along as well. Gee, if the date doesn't conflict with CCR we might even be able to convince Dave Dragon to show up and that way you and he could join up and ride up together!

Lynn
Hi Lynn,

I am presently in SC for a family matter (been here for about 2 weeks) and don't know when I'll be back to Tampa, but I will definitely take you up on the generous offer. As soon as I get back and can order the shocks, I'll get with you to coordinate the project. Most likely end of August of maybe early Sept. As there is no rush, we have plenty of time to plan. I'll get with you a little later to get your best schedule.... thanks,

dan

1 - 20 of 29 Posts