BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing up my first long trip on the LT. By tomorrow when I get back home, I will have ridden 2300 miles on her in 4 days. I can honestly say she has exceeded my expectations. Between the cruise control, super smooth ride, ample storage, nice stereo, adjustable windshield, and rain protection, I am hooked. In addition to that, I got tons of attention almost at every stop, unlike my buddy on his 2012 HD Street Glide. Hard to describe how happy I am to have an LT. I already liked her a lot, but this trip has me in love now. Thanks, BMW! Of course, I reserve the right to fall out of love if she starts having issues. :grin:

Reactions: katnapinn

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I reserve the right to fall out of love if she starts having issues. :grin:
Easier said than done. We like our LT's even if they cost us money to ride.

Reactions: ibbones and gorm5

·
Registered
261 Posts
Gorm --

It never gets old.

I'd like to say that there are new motorcycles out there that might work better or look better for this application, but there aren't. ;-) There might be faster, or lighter, or more technically sophisticated motorcycles, but in terms of low levels of rider stress over sustained miles, I got nothin'.

One of my favorite experiences was dropping in to Battley Cycles, in Rockville, MD, with my 2000 to pick up some parts, and parking beside their brand new K1600GTL dealer demo unit.

A local club was holding a Barbeque and Fish Fry in Battley's parking lot. One of their members strode up to me a shared his opinion.

"Your bike is beautiful. That," he said, waving a disdainful bent finger in the general direction of the K16, "just doesn't do it for me."

"Pleased to meet you, Brother. Yeah, me too."

I'm coming up on the first time I've ever put 100,000 miles on a single motorcycle. This - https://rollingphysicsproblem.wordpress.com/2016/04/25/time-to-ride/ -- is how that happens.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can relate. The K1600 GTL is a wonderful machine, in my opinion. I rented one for a week on vacation a couple of years ago. Great ride, super fast IMO. However, the LT is much more attractive and weel thought out, in terms of design. It is a bit plain and the top case looks like it was just thrown on it for more storage. The LT flows beautifully.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Well. It's a love hate relationship. Hate when working on it.The LT is a real PITA. But when you get her rolling and dip her in the 1st hard curve and she slips into it like a letter in a mailbox. All is forgivin. Hell. You will even find yourself apologizing to her. LOL

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm so glad you posted this, Patrick, it echoes my thoughts exactly. I'm not in a position to make epic rides like you did (yet), but I've put about 4 grand on the clock 3 or 4 hundred at a time, and I always get off with a great big smile on my face. The thing that really strikes me is almost without exception, no matter how many miles I've put on, within a minute or two of getting off I want to get right back on and ride some more. There's a LOT to be said about blowing by a crotch rocket in the high speed curves. That put a smile on my face for MILES!

I love this bike. I love it a LOT.

Mark

·
Registered
391 Posts
I haven't been on my LT since I parked it last march after a 2K round trip to FL. Needed to take it for inspection because tag was expiring. Did not look forward to riding the big girl. Been riding my air heads mostly. Near 70 yrs old, bad knee pain, bad back pain, just didn't feel up to it. Five miles back in the saddle and back in love! Rode for an hour and a half. BTW: passed inspection with 94K on the clock.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have had my 99 LT for 8 years now. The big lady still runs perfectly but recently I have been thinking about may be replacing it with a 2 or 3 years old motorcycle model. I test rode the Triumph Trophy, the Yamaha FJR, the latest 1200RT and the Kawazaki Concours. The only one I have not ridden yet is the K1600. All fine bikes but everytime I took my old LT back after each test ride I appreciated it even more. The comfort, the style, the protection and all the Bells and Whistles. Sure it is not as fast as any of the 4 bikes I listed above but the LT definitely beats them for comfort and protection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts