BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has arrived my clutch is slipping on my 2004 LT at 156,000 miles. I've said before I would try brake clean as a temporary fix on a contaminated clutch disc. so that is what I'm going to do. I have a couple of Toy's for Tot's rides to do before I replace the clutch. I drilled a 11/16 hole in the clutch housing so I could get my pinky finger in and all I could feel is a lot of wet clutch disc residue. I'll disconnect the fuel pump & have my son hold the clutch lever in & bump the engine over while I spray brake clean on the disc. I'll let you know how it all works out.

I'll be riding my 2000 LT to the Eldridge Children's Home Benefit Ride next weekend so I can have my 2004 clean, decorated & ready for a Toy's for Tot's ride on Sunday the 4th in Charlotte.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I hope spraying the clutch works.

Did the "nothing going on on Sunday, so we don't have to rush home from Eldridge, AL", go out the window? Is there another Toys for Tots ride, or is this the one in Denver? I saw the banner, but didn't get the date.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lee510 said:
I hope spraying the clutch works.

Did the "nothing going on on Sunday, so we don't have to rush home from Eldridge, AL", go out the window? Is there another Toys for Tots ride, or is this the one in Denver? I saw the banner, but didn't get the date.
This one is with the club & leaves from downtown Charlotte. I just want my other bike cleaned & ready just in case we don't get back until sunday.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
You can just pull the fuse for the fuel pump. If I remember correctly the windshield motor is a also on the same circuit.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Unfortunately the clutch disc is inclosed between the pressure plate and clutch housing. Brake clean will not wash anything from the disc unless you disassemble the bike and take the clutch from the housing. Sorry to pass along the sad news. :(

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ErnieA said:
Unfortunately the clutch disc is inclosed between the pressure plate and clutch housing. Brake clean will not wash anything from the disc unless you disassemble the bike and take the clutch from the housing. Sorry to pass along the sad news. :(
The clutch housing cover has three 2" long areas that expose the clutch disc. I'm hoping I can get some brake clean to it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
saddleman said:
The clutch housing cover has three 2" long areas that expose the clutch disc. I'm hoping I can get some brake clean to it.
I sure hope it works for you. Here is what it looks like in the intermediate case. Where did you drill your hole again?

·
Registered
729 Posts
ErnieA said:
I sure hope it works for you. Here is what it looks like in the intermediate case. Where did you drill your hole again?
Glad I'm looking at that in a picture rather than 1st hand.
I do see your point about trying to clean it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts