BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding motorcycles for the last 25 years. I have not owned many bikes in that time, total of five. I have owned an enduro, a standard, a cruiser, 1200 goldwing, and the LT (just bought this season).

Due to the winter we had, I have only been riding the LT for the last two weeks. I have ridden over 700 miles in the last two weeks, and I have to say, I have NEVER been snubbed by so many Harley riders. Very few Harley riders wave back to me on the LT.

On my other bikes, even my '86 goldwing ( I rode that one the last three seasons), most HD riders waved back, but on the LT, they snub me!!

What gives? Are they jealous?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Maybe you're going to fast for them to react. Check your mirrors.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm noticing the same thing. Last year I got a wave back from 80% of the HD riders. So far this year? Maybe 1 in 10.

Guy I work with owns a Road King and is a HOG member. Maybe there was some article in the HOG magazine about how Harley owners should only wave to their own. I'll have to sneak a peek at his copy. That is, if I can find it. He hides it from me ever since I snuck a sheet of blotter paper into it, along with a 'notice from the factory' explaining that they were including the sheet as a bonus to place under the bike to absorb the oil drops. That very day, his primary cover started leaking.

He still blames me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Here in Va. Beach most wave back. It use to be that when someone bought a HD they wanted to be different and chromed it out to be even different than the other HD riders. Now everyone has a chromed out HD and they all look alike. Now we drive the bike thats not like everyone else. Our beloved LTs. Here where I live its the custom chopper folks that wont give you the time of day or a wave. I do not really care what they do. Plus I feel sorry for them. They are so in to looking cool on their 50k choppers and custom bikes ,but they have to have the roughest worst handling, most uncomfortable ride and all to look cool.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I was watching Hog Heaven tv show, (a 30 minute comercial for HD it appears) and they were promoting waving to HD riders and not others. I was quite surprised at the attitude promoted on the show.

They were promoting HD Loyalty!

·
Registered
461 Posts
It's not that they are not waving to you , they are putting out their hand to other HD riders to catch parts that fall off and they know no parts to be caught falling of a "Beemer " .I did not make this up a lad riding a HD at Mt Rushmore clued me into it as he was eyeballing my old 99LT all the while asking how it ran and how I liked it , he even asked to sit on it , had not my wife been there I do not think his wife would not got off the LT.

Bob G

·
Registered
712 Posts
It's not just HD drivers (and not all of them). Since I started riding my LT & RT I find fewer people waving back period. I used to get about 80%. Now it seems more like 30%. On a good day 50%.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Nah, they just have a hard time believing that anyone can:

1. Be comfortable on two wheels
2. Not have bugs in their teeth (or lack thereof)
3. Have a smooth ride without severe kidney damage
4. Have a happy wife/girlfriend/moll on the back
5. Not have to stop every 50 miles in order to "shake it out"
6. Pass a hearing test at 50 years of age
7. Have normal heart and lung function from not having to inhale noxious fumes from other "individualists" riding in front of them
8. Run heated vests, cell phones, ipods and a Waring blender at one time without burning out their alternators
9. Actually RIDE from one destination to another without having to trailer
10. Have curious spectators come up to them at gas stations and say:

Gee, I didn't know BMW makes motorcycles! ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
There is an undercurrent going with SOME HD riders. A couple of experiences I've had include:

A guy I worked with owned a Heritage Classic or some such HD model (sorry, I don't keep updated on them that much.) We took a day ride, all went ok, but on one of our several breaks, (his idea, not mine) he explained that he had two separate waves. One for other HDs, one for everyone else on two wheels. I was amused.

Another more recent ride included a ride with a guy with a brand new HD Night Train (I think thats the model.) We stopped at a local car show and parked somewhat close to the entrance. After lapping the show, we came back to see three guys gawking at my LT, with his NT right beside it. He noticed. "Go figure. A perfectly good HD Night Train sitting there and the crowd forms around the BMW." (His words!) I was amused.

To be balanced, we camped at the Ruidoso, NM rally in Sept by one of the most hard core HD true bikers I've ever met. He was the real deal of that crowd. Anyway, we got aquainted and he looked over the LT with great interest, esp after he saw me BACK up the small rise into our campsite fully loaded. (His load was a bed roll, no tent, no nothin' else.) As we talked, he expressed much disdain for the loads of HD riders that trailered their bikes to the rally, rode around the campground and annoyed everyone. He was a really nice guy, despite the rough look. I was impressed.

Bottom line. It takes all kinds. I'll wave whether they wave or not. I say we keep on a wavin' !
Happy Trails!

·
Registered
76 Posts
They can't hear you wave with loud pipes! :histerica

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
They are too afraid to let go of the handle bar to wave.

I'd post more, but I have better things to do. :))
Bob

PS: Maybe they were all from MA?
PSS: Try waving at the hoards on their way to Weirs Beach for the UGLY show and races.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have both the LT and a HD Deuce. I dearly love the Deuce: the sound, the feel, everything about it. What I don't understand is the HD mentality. It's just unreal at times. I sit at the dealership and watch a Halloween costume party going in and out. I put about 11,000 miles a year on the HD alone, but it seems like most only want to ride about 1,000 a year. Sometimes I wonder if it's more of the 'life style' they buy into rather than the bike. Even read an interview by Sonny Barger who said he only rode and worked on HD because everyone else did. He didn't like the Harley, but was too peer pressured to try anything else. I just don't understand the whole thing. But I'll wave at you anyway :)

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
And when I'm stopped at a local "watering hole" (bar) to have a soft drink and chat with the 'boys', it is amazing how many folks gaze at my 05 graphite LT and not at the H-D's.

Take extreme comfort in your knowledge of all the great things you personally enjoy when you are riding your Beemer.

One of my colleagues references the H-D's as "last century's technology at tomorrow's prices!"
Frankly, it doesn't matter one bit what any other pilgrim thinks about your ride. I rarely have any other rider, H-D or otherwise, do anything except marvel at all the aesthetic qualities of the LT even w/o personally experiencing the ride! And when you question any of them in a non-confortational manner whether they have ever taken a LT for a test ride, the majority respond with a NO...pretty much reveals their credibility whether a LT is one way or the other! But be kind to these folks, after all, a ride is a ride!

Last summer I had the occasion to ride one of the new Victory bikes and, although it was real smooth for a large twin, I sure appreciated riding the LT home!

·
Registered
938 Posts
It doesn't matter whether they wave back or not. If they are so materialistic to judge others by what type of motorcycle they ride, let 'em eat dirt..

Not a big deal. Just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Personally, I love to take the LT to the local HD dealers especially when they have open house. Pull in find a nice spot, throw it in reverse back in and then just stand there and run the electric stand down and get off gracefully.

One time I had one guy want to know if i was going to trade THAT bike for a Harley. I said nope finished trying out harleys. If anyone ever gets snooty I just show them my life member HOG card and tell them it's fun to come and see just how much chrome ppl can get on a bike they ride maybe once a week if they are lucky.

An for me waving! I'll wave at a kid on a scooter. (makes them feel like they are riding a real bike) lol

·
Registered
794 Posts
As for my area, the local HD riders pretty much always wave. In fact now that the locals HD riders that know where my house is they wave or honk when they ride by.
They see all the toys in the garage and now I too enjoy the sport.

But now that the seasons have changed and the tourist are flocking back to the mountains, I notice the visitor don't wave at anyone.
This could be because there are so many new HD riders who are first time owners; they just don't know educate.

Just keep waving, they will either catch on or crash and get out of the sport.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As a friend of mine who studied philosophy always says

"What you think of me, is none of my business"

If you go through life expecting other people to make you happy, you will often be dissapointed. They have their own agendas, and that's fine. Be happy in the moment and in yourself. Smile and wave, it makes the world a better place. :)

Good weekend y'all

David

1 - 20 of 52 Posts