BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Illiumworks brake pedal lowering kit problems?

I have this kit on order. Are there any known mechanical problems this kit can create? Is this an easy install? Any "tips" before attempting this. I'm no mechanic, but I'm hoping this is fairly straightforward and can be done by even a klutz like me!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,789 Posts
The hardest part will be removing the main bolt that holds the current pedal on. First remove the small screw on the return spring to unload it. Then use a hair dryer (or heat gun) to soften the loctite then use steady pressure on the wrench as it begins to let go. Don't forget to clean up the threads and re-apply loctite. You can now find it at auto parts stores as a paste in a "chapstick" type tube, use the blue color - medium strength. Torque it to 41Nm or 30.2 FtLbs. tension the return spring and re-install the small screw. Then make sure the rear brake is not dragging as you may have to adjust the connection to the master cylinder

·
Registered
740 Posts
John's covered the install, but also be aware that your pegs are now closer to the pavement than they were before, so if you are one who likes to ride aggressively in the mountains it will reduce your lean angle a little.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Ranger6 said:
...also be aware that your pegs are now closer to the pavement than they were before, so if you are one who likes to ride aggressively in the mountains it will reduce your lean angle a little.
I lifted the rear tire on the north GA mountains. Not fun! I removed them . . . INSTANTLY. :)

But for a less aggressive, and/or tall rider...they are nice to have.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yep...did the same, and with Sweetie Pie on the back too!! She was NOT happy. :mad:

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
You will also need to adjust the pedal height to fit you. Easily done by adjusting the linkage behind the peg plate. Also make sure to re-adjust the brake light switch...!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I installed a kit on my bike a few weeks ago. Putting the lowering kit on is easy and only takes a few minutes. Adjusting the shift linkage and the brake is MUCH MORE TIME CONSUMING. I never did get the brake to adjust as low as I wanted it, but I can live with it.

I doubt you will want to ride the bike with the lowering kit installed without readjusting the shifter and the brake pedal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts